• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problems

summit56

NAXJA Forum User
i have 33x12.5 tires on 6 inches of lift. the track bar moves up and down at the top but doesnt move back and forth, there is only 1/8th of an inch or so of play up and down. everything else is tight. when i put the 205/75/15s on the jeep drives fine. but w/ the larger tires it likes to "jump" around on the road w/ the groves. i had 31x12.5 tires on before and it drove good w/ those tires.

I have a Teraflex bar that uses a TRE on the end and mine does that too. I called them and they said it's designed that way. Doesn't make sense to me and I'll replace it sooner or later, but it's still on there for now. I'll just end up getting one with a johnny joint on the body end.

With a 6" lift, your track bar is on a bit of an angle. That means part of that play in vertical movement will translate to the horizontal plane and result in steering looseness. Also consider differences in tire construction, tread design, air pressure, wheel vs tire width and alignment as factors that can contribute to your tracking problem.

You have to love a Jeep to drive a Jeep.

Back