• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Weather Gear

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
OK, I am Almost positive its gonna be cold this time. What are you guys (Who are actually camping in tents/jeeps) using in the way of sleeping bags, sleeping mats, etsc. I was thinking a Zero Degree bag and Instead if using an Air matress this time I was thinking of getting a Thermarest pad(saves a lot of space and easier to maneuver. I will most likely have a small heater in the Jeep this time though!

I Have also been looking for a cheap pop up for this coming year. I plan on doing some camping!

I have a mummy bag rated to 20°. If I wear long johns, I've been comfortable down to 0°. And I have a thin fleece sleeping bag liner if it gets really cold.

I will be sleeping in the Jeep if I fit. If not, I'll sleep in my bivy sac on the ground.

To stay warm during the day, I have long johns, fleece-lined jeans, and Carhartt jacket and overalls with the "arctic" lining. Hopefully it won't be necessary to wear all of that at once.

i have a 4"thick memory foam pad that im gonna lay down, along with a few blankets. i have alot of really nice sleeping bags that are rated for everest conditions, but i cant sleep in a mummy bag i get claustrophobic in them. im also gonna get a tarp to put under the tent, and a tarp ontop. overkill but i like to stay as warm and dry as possible. either that or i will put that foam pad in the back of the jeep and sleep there. i did that when i took a ski trip to colorado. took the seat out of the back, layed my foam pad down, put like 7 pillows in the back with a blanket or two. at night i cracked open the windows and left the car running with the heat blasting. it was perfect, the rumble of the jeep put me to sleep quickly and i stayed warm all night.

I'm actually thinking of doing this, though a bit crazy! I'm towing my XJ there, I'm thinking about dropping it off at the park, turning around and driving back to Indianapolis, renting a camper (big with heat and shower) and towing that back to the campgrounds. It's about the same per night as a Holiday Inn, but keeps me by the festivities and allows myself and my wife to enjoy the nights without worrying about driving to a motel, and..did I mention warm, dry, and shower?

I'm actually thinking of doing this, though a bit crazy! I'm towing my XJ there, I'm thinking about dropping it off at the park, turning around and driving back to Indianapolis, renting a camper (big with heat and shower) and towing that back to the campgrounds. It's about the same per night as a Holiday Inn, but keeps me by the festivities and allows myself and my wife to enjoy the nights without worrying about driving to a motel, and..did I mention warm, dry, and shower?

Sounds like a lot of hassle, especially on the return trip when you are beat from the weekend.

You can always turn on the jeep when it gets too cold LOL.

not everybody sleeping near you will appreciate that.
if you rent an electric site, you can plug in a small electric heater.
they cost less than $20 at Walmart.
you can even share an electric site, they have two outlets.

BOB

not everybody sleeping near you will appreciate that.
if you rent an electric site, you can plug in a small electric heater.
they cost less than $20 at Walmart.
you can even share an electric site, they have two outlets.

BOB

they even have these wonderful creations. electric blankets. im laying on one right now haha

I'm going to snuggle up next to my wife in a queen sized bed in a warm room.

For $60 a night, you guys are nuts.

electric hookup campsites are like $20 a night!
$40 more and you got a shower and a bed....
even if you flip burgers at McDonalds, you can save up enough for a few nights in a hotel by March!
these rooms have two queen beds. Split a room with someone and it is $30.00 A NIGHT!!

BOB

Last edited:
My original plan was to get a hotel room but I think I am getting laid off in January so we'll see!

Back