• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IC Geostash (teaser pics)

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
I know this isn't the event forum but I want to gain as much interest as I can. Especially now that we know half the procedes will be going to such a great cause (more on that later)

For those of you who don't know, in August the Intermountain chapter will be holding an event in the Uintah Mountains in North East Utah.

This run will be part poker run, part geocaching and a BIG chunk of scenic four wheeling.

Basicly it works like this there will be 20 coffie cans stashed around the area filled with playing cards. The cards are sealed in seperate plastic bags and the idea is to use a GPS (or a friend with a gps) to get to 5 different coffie cans to pick up five different cards.

Saturday night of the event we will gather the cards and give a way some great prizes to the best poker hands.

Yesterday we started placing caches and I thought I would share some pics.

The first cache we hid was across this river. By August it should be lower but it was pretty deep at the time.
IMGP4569.jpg

First cache was hidden in this group of trees.
IMGP4573.jpg

It was kind of cloudy that day but the scenery was still pretty nice.
IMGP4575.jpg

Second cache was up this road. Since it was early in the year and we were the first to bust through some of the snow there was several big rocks and trees down in the road.
IMGP4576.jpg

Walking to place the second cache.
IMGP4583.jpg

The second cache was placed around the shore of this hidden pond.
IMGP4584.jpg

On our way to the third cache. Five years ago a forest fire ripped through part of this area.
IMGP4606.jpg

Parking to hike to the third cache.
IMGP4612.jpg

We put this on in a hollow burnt out stump. Thought it was a good spot.
You can see the GPS used on the stump. The cache was right behind it in the top.
IMGP4608.jpg

Cache #5 was hidden by a lake. It got a little hairy getting to this one.
IMGP4615.jpg

If you are interested in joining this even or have questions hop on over to the sub-forum and look at the description and rules thread or post your questions up.

Half of the money generated will be donated to the Blue Ribbon Coalition to help fund the Moab Travel plan legal fund.

Thanks guys.

ok i'll keep going with the teasers.

DR. Moab coming back from placing the first cache
015.jpg

the snow was still alittle deep for imports.
025.jpg

this is near the location of cache #3
031.jpg

more to come later.

Blaine B. said:
Sweet scenery and Jeepz....

Except the snow.
Whats wrong with snow?

We had more fun bucking drifts on Sat then anything else. In fact there were several places that we were the first vehicls in for the year.

It is so nice up there this time of year.
And you don't see that many people even on a holiday weekend.

Awesome!

Wish I had a few more weeks of vacation time to make more NAXJA events this year.

Weasel said:
Well looks fun but why is whomever that is smoking? I hope it not as dry there as it is here.

And where in Wyoming are you guys from? Southren somewhere I'm assuming.
good ole' fashioned cigarette.
and we are in the south west corner of wy.

And I gotta say...

As long as you're mindful of sparks and such it's perfectly fine to smoke in dry areas, I do it myself. You just have to be extra careful, don't drop it, don't flick the cherry out into brush (and, of course as always pocket the butt after extinguishing it), and don't smoke if it's windy (likely to blow sparks).

DrMoab said:
The Forest Service just placed a ban on all smoking outside of vehicles unless you are surrounded by 3 feet of mineral dirt on all sides.

Fun.

All because of people who don't mind their sparks!!

GSequoia said:
Fun.

All because of people who don't mind their sparks!!
The dumb thing is that it's really easy to avoid this problem if you brought bottled water with you. I usually just leave an inch or two in the bottom of the first bottle I drink and it makes a great self-extinguishing ashtray.

I've seen people that are good about it but I've also seen the results of the accidentals, just makes me nervous. But then again it's super stupid dry here. I hear some of the other places in the country actually get rain.

Weasel said:
I've seen people that are good about it but I've also seen the results of the accidentals, just makes me nervous. But then again it's super stupid dry here. I hear some of the other places in the country actually get rain.
Where are you? Billings or Rapid City?

My sister lives in Bozman and its stupid dry there.

We are sitting at about 30% of normal rain fall and have fires all over the state.

The day that pic was taken you could have thrown a cig just about anywhere and it would have been fine. Hell most of the day we were in snow and the other part of the day we were in slushy mud from the run off.

Back