• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage?

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
I know there wasn't much out there but there was still some.

I had an odd leak in one of my tires but we plugged it and was good to go and I had a windshield that came partially unglued.

I think EasyWJXJ had a stock steering set up go bad too.

Anyone else?

I bent the tie rod right at the drivers side tire. I didn't notice it till the way home, got to about 55 and had some slight death wobble, went right away soon as i applied the brakes. ZJ steering time.

peace
ted

Passenger side U-Joint (ran all of john bull with it, noticed it after pulling onto the highway stuck in 4X4 and was inspecting for damage after the loud ass BANG) one of the caps was broken and no bearings where left. (Thanks John for the spare shaft while i repair mine!!)

Dented front passenger door lower armor, put a small dent in the gas tank.

Cracked a weld on my bumper.

I think that is it until i go hose all the dirt off and inspect it closer.

John bull did a small number on my rig... but she got home in one piece :)

Broken front passenger shock
Bent tie rod
Dented passenger rear door
bent front passenger control arm

John bull did a small number on my rig... but she got home in one piece :)

Broken front passenger shock
Bent tie rod
Dented passenger rear door
bent front passenger control arm

Was that from Cal's spotting? :shocked:

I blew a rear shock on Friday's Jeepspeed run after Deep Creek. Now it's making all sorts of noises. Time for new shocks...and tires.

Also bent my stock rear bumper. i want one like Avery's. ;)

leaking Durango Steering box #2
my newly installed transmission seal is leaking again (grrr)
my steering still sucks

Lost a rock light on JB

Scott,(YJ with XJ grill) managed to snap his main leaf, thank god for military wrap springs, drove home on it.

Dented my left lower QP, lost the bumper/end cap. Time to cut it anyway.

I managed to run over and sever my speedo cable, and break my transmission mount, which in turn broke my motor mount. I finished the trail and moseyed on home easy as pie, though.

All in all, my Jeep performed very well. :)

As for human carnage, I took a nice header over the cooler at base camp on Saturday night. The kind where you don't even bother putting your hands out, because suddenly, the ground was just there. :D

I found a buch of new cracks in the unibody that I knew would be there after this trip but I hoped they wouldn't be. Time for some major frame reinforcement in a way that I don't think anyone has done before. Details will be posted later.

Pressure switch on the OBA quit, first it wouldn't come on then it wouldn't shut off, thank god for blow off valves.

Developed a overheating issue when under a heavy load, ie.. 1st gear 4lo running up hill, strange part is it doesn't cool down when idling for 15 mins, but does cool down if I shut off for 10 mins, never reached boiling over temp so its not to serious. I've narrowed it down to air in the cooling system or the new trans cooler overheating the radiator, I'm hopping for air because if its the trans cooler then I've got bigger problems just around the corner.

So far so good.......just some scratches and it is still tooo clean. Actually it does have a little bit a rougher idle. Thinking it might be a vacuum line or something.

No carnage for me!! Cali got stuck in camp after constantly overheating going up 18, even after Sean took the trailer for me.

Bright side is, I think it was just a failed radiator cap, rather than a cracked head or blown head gasket. If so, it'll be one of those things I'm really happy to admit I was stupid enough to overlook!!

Oh, the long black handle thingy on my liftgate decided it needed a hole in it; not sure what caused it, it was just suddenly there. So I guess that's my carnage!

Oh yeah, and I broke my $70 digital camera's screen. That's why I carry a relatively cheap digital camera!

Last edited:
My thermostat just took a dump and we had the same issue on the trail so you might want to change it out

Pressure switch on the OBA quit, first it wouldn't come on then it wouldn't shut off, thank god for blow off valves.

Developed a overheating issue when under a heavy load, ie.. 1st gear 4lo running up hill, strange part is it doesn't cool down when idling for 15 mins, but does cool down if I shut off for 10 mins, never reached boiling over temp so its not to serious. I've narrowed it down to air in the cooling system or the new trans cooler overheating the radiator, I'm hopping for air because if its the trans cooler then I've got bigger problems just around the corner.

Back