• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warm up time

Argh, not this again! Trust me man, you just started one of those Chevy/Ford kind of threads. "You're stupid for not warming up!" "No, you're stupid and wasting gas for warming up, you don't need to do that on new cars!!!"

I am already letting the clutch out with the truck in reverse and my foot on the accelerator by the time my hand lets go of the keys....

jk, usually just long enough for everything to sound right. 10 sec or so on the low side, 1min or so on the high usually only if it is cold.

I'm with Wolf. Start up, buckle up, turn on the radio, and drive easy. I've heard it called a dynamic warm up. I have a five speed, and I just mosey along, at about 1200-1500 rpm until water temp goes over 100 (got a scan gauge, so I can tell exactly).

If it's snowy/frosty, I fire up and idle long enough to scrape/brush, then drive slow for a few minutes to bring up water temp.

By driving easy, I hit 100 degrees in about 3 minutes...less than a mile. At idle, 100 takes right about 10 minutes.

Steve

Same here, i ussualy just baby it the best i can till my water temp gauge un-pegs itself.
I have a real long driveway, so it gives it a headstart.

I don't let mine warm up either, and I live in what feels like Siberia at times.

I will say, though, that water temperature is damn near irrelevant. If you really want to know when your rig is warm, put in an oil temp gauge. Water temp over 100 doesn't mean your rig is even close to warm.

When the oil temp starts to come up, your golden. That means your other fluids have had a chance to at least start to warm up as well.

BMW M3s have a governor that is tied to oil temperature. Until the oil reaches a certain temp, the M3 limits not only the max RPM but how quickly you can tach it up.

Warming up (leaving it idling for more than a few minutes) an XJ is more important for keeping the driver warm and getting ice off the windows...

Awh, don't be like that GSequoia ! Yah, you and I know that this was just covered in great detail some 2 weeks ago, but it's kinda like lift questions, MPG questions, and other drivell, that us "expert" Jeepers just take for granted ;)

Besides, if you don't like the post, there is this cute little clicky thing in the upper right corner to allow you to report the post :D LOL!

To answer the OPs question:
I start it and get out and scrape the windows. By that time, it's sufficiently warmed up. Much longer than that, and I'm just wasting fuel.

When it's nice out, I watch the oil pressure, as soon as it's steady and the other guages look good, I'm ready to go.

however long it takes me to walk down the stairs from my 2nd story apt and walk to the jeep and unlock it... thats about the time mine gets... ya see cuz i have remote start and i turn the heater on when i shut it off at night so when i turn it on in the apt it heats up my front window and warms up the jeep for a few minutes before i get a chance to come down... for the most part it gets a max of 5 minutes but there are times i just get in, start it and give the oil pressure just enough time to equalize and i take off.

however long it takes me to walk down the stairs from my 2nd story apt and walk to the jeep and unlock it... thats about the time mine gets... ya see cuz i have remote start and i turn the heater on when i shut it off at night so when i turn it on in the apt it heats up my front window and warms up the jeep for a few minutes before i get a chance to come down... for the most part it gets a max of 5 minutes but there are times i just get in, start it and give the oil pressure just enough time to equalize and i take off.

I really miss the Cherokee I gave to my MIL. It had remote start, I would start that sucker from my apartment too. Mainly I just miss the remote start. It was great for those mornings going to PT when it was 12 outside but your PT gear is a nylon running suit. I used to make fun of people with remote start before that.

When it's below 10F, 5 minutes, 20-30F, start, buckle seatbelt, turn radio on, maybe 1 minute, then head out, same with some others, I pretty much idle up the driveway, out on the street, thru the development, maybe 3 minutes, then I do the speed limit from there.

I wake up start my jeep. Take a shower, get dresses, pack and lunch then leave. Prolly half hour. I don't care 2 much about wasting gas since i only drive 2 miles to class. And i live in northern michigan. Not to uncommon to be 10 below at 7a.m.

As long as it takes me to move the shifter from Park to Drive. I buckle up before I start it.
But then again I live in El Paso, and cold here is about 36F in the mornings.
Freezing? What's freezing?

Mine doesn't 'warm up' until the weather changes. Lots of layers and a good scraper get me by.
It's hard to tell what temp it's running. The first half (left peg to TDC) spans 120*, but the second half (TDC to right peg) only covers 40*. If the needle isn't pointing to TDC (220*) I'm just guessing. LEFT = 100*, TDC = 220*, RIGHT = 260*
As long as it stays out of the red, I just keep going.

I'm in colorado and we have laws about letting rigs warm up if your not in or around it. Then again I park in the garage most of the time if it's nasty out but I still give it atleast 5 min if it's really cold like the sub -0 temps we've had the last few days. Other wise I always wait 30 seconds to a min after the kick down of the idle then I'm off.

Up here, its start, go inside, take a shower, come back out, sit in your still freezing car a few mins, then go

@jdogg4: According to Troy: If it's on your property (not street or apt. parking lot), it's not gonna get you a ticket. At least not under the state's 'puffer law', cities may differ. If it's on public property, but the doors are locked and there's no key in the ignition, you should not get a ticket. The law is about reducing auto theft and reducing that burden on LEOs, not wasting gas or extra emissions. At least that's what I got from him, I could be wrong.

Your warm up time required for idle speed to drop to 750 rpm?

At a mild ~50 degrees air temperature, how long does it take your XJ's idle speed to drop down to 750 rpm?

At that mild air temperature, my 1999 XJ 4.0 requires a full 5 minutes to drop from "high idle" (~1200 rpm?) down to normal idle of about 750 rpm. I've never had a car before that required even one third that much time to drop to normal idle rpm speed. My other two cars drop down in less than 1 minute.

The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor works fine otherwise, but 5 minutes seems excessive. If I place a 1Kohm resistor in parallel with the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor to "trick" the PCM into ''thinking" that the engine is at normal operating temperature, then the idle immediately drops to 750 rpm, and so either somehow I've got a "reluctant and slow" Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, or 5 minutes is just normal for XJ's.

I don't want to prematurely wear out my transmission (by slamming it into gear each time I drive with the engine still at ~1200 rpm), and so if this is normal for an XJ, I may just install a momentary push-button switch on the dash that connects a 1Kohm resistor across the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor while I am shifting into gear during this 5 minute waiting period.

No...if you mean an OBDII reader I will do that tomorrow morning. Also, I was reading that a stuck-open thermostat may be my problem, now that I know that 5 minutes is not normal.

Thanks

Back