• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tj charging issue

Snipes243

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 97 tj with a 2.5L and I’m having a charging issue. So I think the alternator is not being told to charge. I have checked the battery and the alternator at the parts store to make sure they are working, they are. The audible link is intact. The grounds and cable are clean and in good order. But still no charge. Any other ideas to check?

Does the computer tell it to charge or is it another part of the system?

You prolly don’t have another computer to swap do you?

mac ‘charged up’ gyvr

From my understanding the pcm tells it to turn on and off. I unfortunately don’t have another pcm. But I just want to double and triple check everything before I dump money on another one.

I believe it's the same charging system as the '97 and up XJs.
IIRC the symptom is a low reading on the voltage gauge, then after a bit of not charging, the voltage gauge takes a dive and a CEL is set.

Each time I've encountered this, it has been the alternator.

If you are still having problems, check this thread.

The PCM controls the charging whether it is good, low or high. You tested the alternator and it tested good. Post #5 outlines a way of over riding the PCM to test the rest of the system.

https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1150678

Back