• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shovel and ax combo?

villestrip said:
Does anyone know of a place online to order an ax and shovel combo or is it better just to go to home depot. Oh yeah its to put on my roof rack.

If you want to get fancy look for max axe... otherwise then that ... home depot

villestrip said:
Does anyone know of a place online to order an ax and shovel combo or is it better just to go to home depot. Oh yeah its to put on my roof rack.

try to get a fiberglass one, otherwise a metal one would rust, if you are gonna use it frequently then leave it outside, otherwise if it is for light duty, such as building a small campfire, a quick small potty, I can see you getting a small folding shovel and leave it under the backseat, dunno about a folding axe though :viking:

dogtired said:
try to get a fiberglass one, otherwise a metal one would rust, if you are gonna use it frequently then leave it outside, otherwise if it is for light duty, such as building a small campfire, a quick small potty, I can see you getting a small folding shovel and leave it under the backseat, dunno about a folding axe though :viking:

Fiberglass ones are too weak... if infrequent use, well grease it up, or paint it up with herculiner or something every so often.... but fiberglass ones are good for about only sand: you hit a rock... there went the shovel..

Kejtar said:
Fiberglass ones are too weak... if infrequent use, well grease it up, or paint it up with herculiner or something every so often.... but fiberglass ones are good for about only sand: you hit a rock... there went the shovel..

I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree...I'm a contractor, and use shovels WAY more than I'd like to admidt. A good fiberglass handled shovel is the way to go. I've got one from Home Depot, or Lowes, wherever, and put it thru all kinds of junk where I know I would have broke anything else ( got ran over by a K5 blazer, did not break). When I wheel, it gets strapped to the rack. I've never had an issue with it. As far as a axe...dont know what to tell you. I carry a hatchet and cordless sawzall.

trouble1 said:
I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree...I'm a contractor, and use shovels WAY more than I'd like to admidt. A good fiberglass handled shovel is the way to go. I've got one from Home Depot, or Lowes, wherever, and put it thru all kinds of junk where I know I would have broke anything else ( got ran over by a K5 blazer, did not break). When I wheel, it gets strapped to the rack. I've never had an issue with it. As far as a axe...dont know what to tell you. I carry a hatchet and cordless sawzall.

Oh.. you're talking handle... I thought someone suggested for the "other end" to be fiberglass as well :D

I carry a bush axe that can double up as a 'sort-of' shovel. About $40 at the farm supply store

<edit>: Not the sorry light-duty kind with the replaceble thin clamp-on blade...the HD kind that the handle replaces like an axe. I also drill a 1/4" hole & through-bolt the casting & the handle as insurance. <edit>

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
Oh.. you're talking handle... I thought someone suggested for the "other end" to be fiberglass as well :D

didn't think the business end was made with fiberglass anyways, but i didn't know so i didn't say anything else :dunce:

Get a double bladed axe from the local hardware store make sure it is a wood handle. Then you have to engrave scripture onto the handle and give it a name like Bronson thats my axe's name I hit stuff with it and I polished the blade. It took many an hour to sand off the anti rust black paint on it. When I had my roof rack I would leave it up there and it got worn in real good. Now it is stronger than ever through the power of magic..........

Now I hunt deamons...they're everywhere!

Back