• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Wiring Calamity that is my Rig. Anyone want to help me out this weekend?

SeeingSpots

NAXJA Forum User
I had a few hours to kill around lunch so I took my rig to get smogged for my registration. I missed the NOx reading by .414! Cut off was 5.0000 - I was 5.4141.

Turns out that PO decided to cut the O2 sensor and then never bothered to reconnect it prior to selling. I never even thought to check it until the guy at the testing center pointed it out to me. So basically they had to fail me just off of visual inspection alone; but I was there, and I wanted a reading any way.

So now I've got the totally not-so-fun task of trying to hunt down an o2 sensor and the appropriate wire in the harness to attach it to.

Never done this before on an 89' so I'm looking for a little help. I can provide beer, money, and laughs. Anyone that's willing to come to Castle Rock to lend a hand, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I'm SOL.

Jim

Last edited:
my typical gut reaction to wiring issues is...

kill it. kill it with fire. :firedevil

my typical gut reaction to wiring issues is...

kill it. kill it with fire. :firedevil

lol....I feel you.

What makes it worse is that there's a 98' motor in there and I have no idea if it's using Renix or OBDII. There's a OBDII portal under the dashboard but all signs point to Renix mainly because:

A) It doesn't use a speed sensor reading and it runs fine - hence my thread last week about the speedo cable.

B) The PO was probably too F*&# stupid to figure out how it all hooked up anyway.

(sigh) :(

If you put a reader on the OBD II plug, does it work? I'm pretty well aquainted with the Renix system, I could take a peak.

Don't know where you bought it or when, but if you bought it in CO, then the PO is lawfully liable to make the vehicle pass emissions and you can go back on him, even to the point of haveing to by the vehicle back.

You guys are awesome!

Yella drove all the way from Littleton to help me out. This is the best Assoc. I've ever belonged to.

So this is what we learned:

1) It does have the Renix system in it
2) The block is a 98' HO but the head is an 89'
3) PO was a giant douche-canoe

Got a new Bosch o2 sensor installed and I'll try again tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that o2 does the trick.

I was glad to see that this rig wasn't the Renix / OBD II hybrid Jim thought it was..... I drove down there just so I could see how the hell it was even running at all.

All the Renix stuff is intact and functioning.... It's just missing an operational O2 sensor.

Jim said he got the speed sensor installed and working too so I'm thinking his next e-test will be a success.

It's got a NICELY put together D&C cage in it with improvements too. Frank or JD needs to build him some sliders to weld onto the nicely done full length frame stiffeners that are under it....:thumbup:

Jim's gonna have fun with this rig when he's done un-fukering the PO's mess.

Oh and I'm thinking the majority of the spaghetti mess of under dash wires are from sloppy stereo installs and removed options like power windows, cruise, A/C, etc.

Last edited:
It passed!!! :party:

By a lot, actually. Adding that o2 sensor knocked my NOx level by almost 50%. And it runs 10x better than it did before.

It feels good to have a well-running and legal vehicle again. :)

Thanks again guys,
Jim

Back