• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto trans up shift over ride.

ajlee

NAXJA Forum User
I am Looking for the specifics for this .
This electrical rewire would allow you to over ride the 1-2 up shift.
I have problems with hill climbs do to the up shift.

can any one point me in the correct direction

Ajlee, there was a wiring diagram in the Big Offroad Tech article...

HodgePodge, I don't think this mod will work for the newer (OBDII) XJs... since they don't have seperate engine & tranny computers. If you could figure out which wires power the shift solenoids you could easily do a 1>2 toggle.

As far as I know no one has shown how to do this on the 97+ Jeeps. Though I think the problem is that there is an input sensor and a output sensor on the 97 and newer. The computer then can compare the input to the output and know what gear the Jeep is in. They may also be able to determine internal slip and gernerate a trouble cade for it. Though it wouldn't be as easy as a switch like the older ones there should be a way to figure out the pulse ratio for each gear and feed it into the computer. I don't even know for sure this would work but I have thought about this for a while now. Only thing is, living with the 1-2 thing isn't that big of a deal so I haven't done much about it.

B-loose

Bloose, i have been looking into it for a while now aswell. I guess the tranny will not shift if it does not recieve a signal from the computer. it will start out in 2nd gear and shift to 3rd gear. I can't find the link that i am referencing but that kind of puts a damper on some things. Maybe i will figure out what its doing down there when you shift. Get some of the ECE guys from the U to figure it out.

Hodge

From what I understand doing the mod on the '97 and newer Jeep s just like on the older Jeeps actually works, BUT, the MIL comes on. I don't know what needs to be done to reset it, but this I guess is the main reason people don't do it. That's why I think the computer keeps track of input and output speed. Those are the only sensors I see on the trans that could let the computer know that it is in the wrong gear.

B-loose

Back