• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost Lake Run: Take Two

Dan3540toys

NAXJA Forum User
I know there has been talk about this run. I thought I'd get it in the staging area.I believe the first weekend in January was the date people were thinking. I just want to get the ball rolling so I can plan around stuff. My baby boy is coming any day so I will have limited weekends free plus my co-pilot needs to take time off work for this. I'm way stoked though, snow camping is so fun. Time to start gearing up for this one now.

Re: Are we doing a lost lake run January 4 and 5?

Plan is:

Meet on the morning of the 4th, At subway off HWY 26.

Make the 3-4 hour trek to Lost lake, Witch SHOULD be frozen by then

If anyone Wants to go, But is not planning to camp, I Want to make it a requirement we have atleast 2 rigs go back together.. It gets pretty Gnarly, and I would not feel comfortable watching someone drive off alone..

We want to Camp On, or By the lake.. and return back down to the Subway sunday afternoon..

I Would suggest a good Tent (3/4 season ) And ATLEAST a 20* Sleeping bag..

I will likely Use my Jeep as my tent, with my small tent heater, and a good sleeping bag...

We have discussed cutting a hole in the ice and try Ice fishing (Haha.. I have no clue what i'm doing)

I cant wait!!!!!

Last edited:

I'll be ice fishing.
Camping in my 3 season tent with my 0* bag and my buddy heater ( I only use my heater for getting in and out of bed, and changing.)

Don't be shy if you have a jeep with no lockers, post up if you want to go.

If we get 2-3 stock rigs, they can turn back when they get as far as they can. So no one leaves alone.

When you post that you're in, post your stats so we can make sure everyone has a way back with a buddy.

Mine
35s locked front and rear and I'll be camping

Requirements:
You must have a full tank of gas before entering E Lolo Pass RD (there is a gas station 1/8 mile from subway)
You must have a tow strap

Things you should have if you plan on making it to the lake:
Front and rear tow points
CB radio
Some snacks
Warm clothes

Last edited:
Last edited:

I know how to get around but if you look at the roads table, they'll eventually list it as closed. 1828 will be on that list too.

Doesn't Lolo Pass closed to wheeled vehicles December 15th?
Negative, They put up a Divider in the middle of the road to show its not a maintained Thru-route.

Its mostly to keep the people like James Kim, and other Unfamilier GPS Followers from the Dangerous Winter conditions.

:attom:

I know how to get around but if you look at the roads table, they'll eventually list it as closed. 1828 will be on that list too.

Thanks for your input, Ill make some phone calls to be sure. :lickout:

Last edited:

If I can get ahold of the appropriate camping gear I'd be in. If not, then maybe a day trip up.

I'm on 31" all terrains, open/open on about 4" lift. No winch, but I have tow points & a strap. Doable? I guess it depends on how much it snows...

If I can get ahold of the appropriate camping gear I'd be in. If not, then maybe a day trip up.

I'm on 31" all terrains, open/open on about 4" lift. No winch, but I have tow points & a strap. Doable? I guess it depends on how much it snows...

You should be good to make it a good ways in.
Like you said depends on snow fall

I'm in. Locked front and rear 36" tires, winch, tow points.
Camping gear will be a four season tent, 0 degree bag, buddy heater, ground cover and other normal camping gear. I am open to suggestions for other snow camping gear.

gonna try for it. im in for camping, but will be fine heading back, if people need a buddy car. i have tow points, and a winch. im on MT 31s, and a budget lift. i have a LSD in the rear, but open front.

Are we doing a lost lake run January 4 and 5?

Just a heads up to the people using smaller then a 33" tire and no lockers. Lolo pass road climbs from the small town of Zigzag Oregon ( about 1500' in elevation) up to lost lake (about 3500' in elevation. By the time this run comes around I have seen snow on the road as deep as the actual Cherokee you are driving.

Come prepared and be prepared to turn back sooner then others.

My plans are to follow the campers to lost lake then make the return trip that day.

Back