• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SierraFest 2020 registration information - Register by July 5th

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Please Reach out to Mike Isaeff (CJMIke on here) via PM on NAXJA, or email
Email : [email protected]

Hello Fellow Offroader,

On behalf of the North American XJ Association (NAXJA) we’d like to welcome you to our 2020 Sierra Fest!

This is a family-friendly event and we welcome any rig to join the adventure! Yes, we’ve traditionally been an XJ group but we have members with CJs, Toyotas and JKs who aren’t afraid to stand out.

This year, we will be hosting the event between Sunday, August 9th and Sunday, August 16th, 2020 – the week’s event will be a two-part adventure, please indicate in the form below which parts of the trip you’ll be attending and please note the general tech requirements for your rig – these are for everyone’s safety and to keep the run moving along with minimal (if any) breakdowns.

We have a Sierra Fest 2020 Event raffle at Hermit Valley on August 15th, where the raffle proceeds are donated to land use organizations and projects. In the past we have donated to FOF, FOTR, BRC, RTF, and Fresno 4x4 as well as lead our own camp improvement project at Hermit Valley donating 9 permanently installed fire rings/bbq pits. We are trying hard to bring on more vendors each week so watch the forum, the Sierra Chapter FB group and the Sierra Chapter Instagram for vendor prize updates. We will also be cross posting all over social media as well as an email blast so please include your email below!

Registration Costs:
Please Register no later than July 5th, 2020 to receive a commemorative T shirt, otherwise you may or may not receive a T shirt if you do not get your order in on time – please reach out to the contact information below if you have questions or need more time we can work with you.

Pricing: Red Name :
60$ for the event Red Name NAXJA Member
Non Red Name member : 70$
Rubicon to Tahoe to Hermit Valley, Slick Rock and Deer Valley
Includes:
- Event commemorative T Shirt
- Swag- such as Event stickers, event commemorative magnetic beer cozy,
- BBQ for one adult (kids eat free) at Sierra Fest Main event Raffle at Hermit Valley Saturday August 15th 2020
 Additional Adults are 10$ each, Kids are free
- 1 adult dinner for Taco Tuesday at Rubicon Springs August 11th 2020
 Additional Adults are 5$ each , Kids are free
- (1) Grand Prize raffle ticket – the grand prize raffle is separate from the main event raffle with 1 ticket for entry and special prizes separate from the main raffle
- You will need to book your own Hotel for Tahoe weds Aug 12th, OR, drive to Hermit weds (optional stop at the hot springs in Markleeville on Wednesday after coming out of the Rubicon, Strawberry Trail run Weds/Thurs as well)
- Free camping at Hermit Valley
- Must fund own Rubicon Springs camping fee, last known cost of $10-15$/night – will update the forum at the start of the summer season.

You’ll need to bring your own food and supplies - except for Taco Tuesday and the Bbq at the raffle at Hermit Valley – we just need your headcount adults and children to purchase BBQ supplies

We will stay one night in South Lake Tahoe, typically at the Best Western or Days inn – you will need to make your own reservation.

Additional T-shirts are $20/each if pre ordered and $25 each at the event. You can indicate your desired quantity and size below, please check the forum for this year’s t-shirt design.

The itinerary:

August 9th through 12th: The Rubicon Trail.
- Sunday, August 9th: Optional day - Arrive at the Loon Lake entrance to the Rubicon and camp overnight to prepare for hitting the trail on the 10th at 8:30AM sharp.
- Monday, August 10th: Depart the Loon Lake campground area at 8:30AM with Buck Island as the destination – those who wish to proceed to Rubicon springs for the night may do so.
- Tuesday, August 11th: For those who camped at Buck Island, continue on to Rubicon Springs and enjoy the day – go hiking, fishing and wheel around. Likely to be a night run up the trail more and back to camp or Old Sluice depending on the group’s desires.
- Wednesday, August 12th: Wheel out to South Lake Tahoe – spend the night in South Lake to re-stock on supplies, shower and clean up for the 2nd part of the trip OR for those driving straight through to Hermit Valley after re-stocking supplies can do so and an optional trip to Markleeville hot springs on the way to Hermit Valley.
- Optional Strawberry trail run weds/Thurs for those interested (highway 50 to 88)
- Thursday, August 13th: Drive from South Lake Tahoe to Hermit Valley off of highway 4. For those joining the 2nd part of the trip only, use this day to arrive to Hermit Valley.
o Thursday evening: Night run up to the top of Deer Valley trail for those interested.
- Friday, August 14th: Run the Deer Valley trail all the way though and circle back to camp, departing at 9AM sharp.
- Saturday, August 15th: Depart camp by 7:30AM for an early group and 8AM for a late group to run the Slick Rock Trail, Saturday evening is the BBQ and Raffle (buy your tickets ahead of time or at the event!)

Tech Requirements:
- ABC Fire extinguisher
- First Aid Kit
- CB radio, HAM, high frequency radio, something to communicate on the trail
- One locker or two limited slips.
- 32" + tires (31s will be ok on a rig by rig basis depending on driver skill, rig - Please post up your build or skill if you have 31s)
- No Dana 35s
- Dana 30 - Spare front axle shafts - No 260 joints. Also have a JACK, 36mm socket, 12 pt 13mm, 1/2" drive to 3/8" adapter and a 1/2" drive breaker/ratchet if your 12pt 13mm is not 1/2" drive
- If you have a dana 30, Highly recommended to carry at least one set of spare ball joints with your spare shafts.
- Spare rear shafts if you have a 27 spline 8.25.
- Tow strap with tow points front and rear.
- T-case skid.
- Appropriate gearing for tire size. For example: 31's could run stock 3.55's, 33's should have at least 4.11's, 35's should have 4.56's. Low T-case gears can make up for diff gearing deficiencies.
- Spare tie rod and drag link if you are running 33's or larger and still have stock steering.
- Do not run knowingly broken, marginal or weak parts (don’t bring a clogged radiator and overheating problems , a rig with a bad alternator, that won’t stay running, bad U bolts, 260 joints, or a dana 35 for example )
- Do not bring a rig with a knowingly broken/failing axle shaft, R&P , locker, tcase, trans, motor, etc (or at least dont plan to run any trails until its fixed)
- Ensure all suspension bolts are torqued to spec and all steering and suspension joints are in good shape
- Run quality U bolts , center pins, control arm, and trackbar bolts that are torqued to spec
- 4 good tires and a spare are a must (Some exceptions if you are running New 40"+ tires and carry plugs and patches but spare is recommended )
- LCA skids are highly recommended on a stock dana 30 LCA mount
- Bring adequate tools , sensors, and parts to fix your rig for the most likely failures
- Adequate spare tire, Bottle jack or high lift jack, and lug wrench
- Safety belts for driver and any current passenger (belts must be worn at all times while vehicle is moving!)
- Secured battery(no bungee cords!)

I still need to register, Mike ill send a PM !

EDIT: Event created on facebook and new thread started in the Event section.

For anyone only doing the second half of the event; any interest in getting a group together to run Strawberry and Deer Valley on the way to Hermit Valley Campgrounds?

I was thinking of 2 possibilities.
1. Start Strawberry super early Thursday morning and then hit Deer Valley to get to camp Thursday evening.

2. (My Vote) Start Strawberry Wednesday and wheel a portion of Deer Valley. Camp on the trail and continue to Hermit Valley Campgrounds Thursday.

Let me know.

Last edited:
For anyone only doing the second half of the event; any interest in getting a group together to run Strawberry and Deer Valley on the way to Hermit Valley Campgrounds?

I was thinking of 2 possibilities.
1. Start Strawberry super early Thursday morning and then hit Deer Valley to get to camp Thursday evening.

2. (My Vote) Start Strawberry Wednesday and wheel a portion of Deer Valley. Camp on the trail and continue to Hermit Valley Campgrounds Thursday.

Let me know.

thats a great idea!

is cjmike taking registration? i sent him a pm on messenger and an email a few days ago to register and nothing?

Thanks Blondejon. It gives an option to those of us an that can't make Rubicon but want to make a longer trip of the weekend.

Hope it makes some traction.

ok that makes sense, thanks

Hello everyone, here's who I have noted down for registrations so far - I'll wait towards the end of June to send out invoices to everyone.

Please let me know if any information is incorrect from what I've noted below:

CJ_Mike: Whole trip, 3 shirts, 2 dinners.
blondejoncherokee: Whole trip, 2 shirts (1 men's, 1 women's), 1 dinner.
Matt Neff: Whole trip, 2 shirts, 2 dinners.
jpcherokeekid: Hermit Only, 1 shirt, 1 dinner.
ChipClip: Whole trip, 1 shirt, 2 adults dinners, 2 kids.
Skipper51: Whole trip, 1 Long Sleeve Shirt, 1 dinner.
sdspearo: Whole trip, 1 shirt, 2 dinners.
nimrod: Whole trip, 1 shirt, 1 dinner.
Twinhauler: Whole Trip, 3 shirts, 2 dinners
Clydefrog: Rubicon only, shirts TBD, 2 dinners
Jeepme: Hermit only, 1 shirt, 1 dinner
Chris S.: Whole trip, 2 shirts (one tall if possible) and 1 sweatshirt if possible, 2 dinners

Last edited:
To bump the current registration list up, here's who I have registered thus far:

Please let me know if any information is incorrect from what I've noted below - invoices will be sent out all at the same time

CJ_Mike: Whole trip, 3 shirts, 2 dinners.
blondejoncherokee: Whole trip, 2 shirts (1 men's, 1 women's), 1 dinner.
Matt Neff: Whole trip, 2 shirts, 2 dinners.
jpcherokeekid: Hermit Only, 1 shirt, 1 dinner.
ChipClip: Whole trip, 1 shirt, 2 adults dinners, 2 kids.
Skipper51: Whole trip, 1 Long Sleeve Shirt, 1 dinner.
sdspearo: Whole trip, 1 shirt, 2 dinners.
nimrod: Whole trip, 1 shirt, 1 dinner.
Twinhauler: Whole Trip, 3 shirts, 2 dinners
Clydefrog: Rubicon only, shirts TBD, 2 dinners
Jeepme: Hermit only, 1 shirt, 1 dinner
Chris S.: Whole trip, 2 shirts (one tall if possible) and 1 sweatshirt if possible, 2 dinners

Mike is gonna batch payments invoices as he gets a big chunk lined up. Instead of doing one by one.

Just got the PTO request approved. I am in for the second half. PM Inbound

well unfortunately I will not be able to make it this year. Mandatory work weekend that I cant get out of !!!

Back