• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Disc Conversion on 8.25 with ABS

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my rear drums and am thinking that it is time to convert to rear brakes. I've seen a couple of nice write up's on how to use ZJ disc brakes with the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle (links below). However, none of the conversions seem to be on 8.25 axles with ABS. Does anyone know if the tone rings (I think that is what they are called) interfere with the conversion?

Thanks,
-Brian

1999 XJ Sport

BTW: Here are the links I found search the archives:

Chrysler 8.25 Rear Axle Disc Brake Conversion by Mitch Gibson

Rear Disk Brake Conversion from go.jeep-xj.info

ZJ Discs on a XJ by Cherokeekid5

Do you believe in Unicorns?No 8.25 ever came with ABS!(at least not on a XJ)!

new libertys have discs, abs and the 8 1/4....

maybe you can get the parts you need from a liberty...

now that's a SCARY thought!

KEVIN

I stand corrected. Different people have told me my axle was a 8.25 or a Dana-35. I didn't think the cover looked much like either but I had never been able to find the tell-tale dana markings on it.

Anyway, while it was up off the ground yesterday I scraped the metal clean and looked carefully at the markings. The @&%# thing is a Dana-35. So much for upgrading the brakes - there seems to be no point considering the reputation of the Dana-35.

Thanks anyway...

crazik said:
new libertys have discs, abs and the 8 1/4....

maybe you can get the parts you need from a liberty...

now that's a SCARY thought!

KEVIN

I know this is an old post but im looking to put some rear disks on my 8.25 so with that said is the above true? Thanks

Jim

tealcherokee said:
absolutly ZERO xj 8.25's have ABS

Yea, and I bet you could never get a ZJ with a 5 speed (in America from the factory) eather, or a 2000 without the precats. Yet both exist. Never say never about Chysler they have been known to do anything.

Jim63 said:
I know this is an old post but im looking to put some rear disks on my 8.25 so with that said is the above true? Thanks

Jim

Yes they will work on a XJ 8.25. Search a little bit more and there should be a few threads on this subject. I own a 8.25 with the KJ disc brakes on it. Bolts right on.

BrianJr said:
Anyway, while it was up off the ground yesterday I scraped the metal clean and looked carefully at the markings. The @&%# thing is a Dana-35. So much for upgrading the brakes - there seems to be no point considering the reputation of the Dana-35.

5724.jpg

wow this thread is old!....oh, and i have seen a zj with a 5spd.

Time to resurrect this thread again witha twist. I have an 01 with ABS and a D35. I want to put in an 8.25 and do the disc conversiona the same time. My question, is this possible with the ABS? Or would I have to scrape the ABS to do the conversion? thanks

You will need a KJ 8.25, that is the only option. It would be possible to use ZJ discs/backing plates and KJ axle shafts and a little fabricating, it might work.

Base on what I've read an 8.25 with ZJ discs stops better then ABS. So I'm disconnecting the Abs and swapping my d35 for an 8.25 with added discs:)

Back