• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio Antenna Connectors NON-STANDARD?

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of an adapter for the connector on the end of lead from the radio antenna. NOT the end that plugs into the radio, the end that plugs into the extension cable under the dash.

This is on my '95 Jeep Cherokee, base model, 2.5L/AX-5 RWD.

I've gutted the interior and fixing the rust holes in the floor.

While doing this, I've accidentally broken the connector on the Cable for the Radio Antenna. The Radio antenna cable is 2 segments, the lead coming from the antenna itself ending under the glove compartment, and then an extension running from that point to the radio. The connector on end of the lead from the antenna looks like its still good, but far from what a standard radio antenna end.

I bought a 3' antenna extension cable to replace the OEM extension cable, but the standard female connector on the end won't fit the antenna lead male end.

Anyone know of the proper adapter or a solution here? The OEM cable from the dealer is like $50 mail order, my local dealer probably far worse.

Already did, there is no adapter for '95 Jeeps, just 2002 and later Jeeps/Chrysler.

It seems all the adapters are for the end of the cable to the radio. In my XJ, there are 2 cable segments and the connector between the two cable segments are some weird non-standard type connection. The connection I broke.

I think I'm just going to go to radio shack and see if they have a standard Motorola Radio Male Connector and chop off this propietary connector and splice a standard one on instead. End of issue, it will be standard connectors thru the whole thing.

Anyone every splice antenna cables?? I'm assuming as long as you make a good solid connection and don't mess up the shielding on the Coax to bad, it will work fine. Am I Wrong?

I'll let you know how it works out.

did you just buy a new mast or the whole assembly. i had a broken power antenna and replaced it at autozone for about 12 bucks. wasnt' that bad to replace. just you have to take the fender off. and well mine had a big ol dent that made it harder.

90xj06 said:
did you just buy a new mast or the whole assembly. i had a broken power antenna and replaced it at autozone for about 12 bucks. wasnt' that bad to replace. just you have to take the fender off. and well mine had a big ol dent that made it harder.
I didn't replace anything, I'm gutting the interior to fix rust holes in the floor. Instead of moving the antenna cable out of the way, I tried to disconnect it at the connector right under the glovebox. The connector fell apart as I pulled the 2 segments apart.

The OEM antenna cable has 2 segments, the lead from the antenna and an extension from the end of that lead up to the radio. Apparently the lead and extension connect with a non-standard connector.

Now the 2 segments of the antenna cable will NOT go back together and I would like to listen to the radio sometime after I finish the project.

I bought a standard 3' extension cable for the radio antenna, basically to replace the original extension cable that I broke the connector on; but the female end of the standard extension cable will not join with the male end at the end of the Original antenna lead.

return the extension and go and buy an oem type from autozone. or you could try to splice them together and hope it works. i dont see why it wouldn't splice.

Thanks, I'm going for the splice to a standard connector.

The Standard extension was $2.97 from NAPA, barely worth returning. The OEM extension I have only found at the dealer for $55, I doubt autozone is going to carry it, but to be honest I haven't checked that out much.

A Motorola Standard Connector just cost me $2.97 at RadioShack, picked it up at lunch. So far I'm $49 ahead on the deal.

I bought the cable piece that includes the threaded base of the antenna at the dealership when I had the same problem. It was reasonable, like $15 at the time. I plugged this into the middle section of the cable without using that spring wierd spring it has.

Well, I figured out the problem, it is a STADARD Motorola Car Radio Antenna connector, it was just that mine had rusted together at that point and when I pulled it apart the female section came apart and the collar stayed attached rusted to male end. I mistook that as being a whole different kind of connector.

I cut off the old connector and attached the new connector from radio shack, was pretty easy and went on well, it passes continuity checks with my mulit-meter, but I haven't tested the actual radio yet. Battery still disconnected, as well the old extension is still mangled, haven't installed the new extension.

alrighty then. hope you have good luck with it. i hate when you try to "fix" a radio antenna and end up making it worse. ever sence the hd-radio came out my signal has gotten worse.

Hello All, ok, this connector? is it under or behind glove box? I havent found it, and I am sure antenna is good. Has to be the issue on this 95 I just got for 1$. Its a beauty, and no radio is killin me. Ed

Last edited:
ok Found it, and what a POS, took spring out, pushed together and taped, works fine now... Ed BTW under kick panel!

Back