• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 backing plates all the same?

5.2poweredxj

NAXJA Forum User
I got a dana 44 from an 78 scout and it doesn't have brakes on it. Would a backing plate from a ford dana 44 work and just use the ford drums?

The backing plate both take a 11" drum and have the same pattern but the IH has a .25 more shoe width. Is this width in the back plate?

Now before anyone wondering why I messing with it. I got a front and rear axle that came with 4.10 and limited slip for 12 bucks of ebay I just had to drive and get them. I plan on using the rear with adaptors but the brakes for IH are expensive vs the ford stuff.

The drums and shoes for the IH total about 255
The drums and shoes for the ford total about 130.

Last edited:
you do know that it's about 2" narrower than the stock xj axles right? and also 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern

i would assume, if it would work at all, you would have to use EVERYTHING from a ford.. it all depends if the axle flange is the same distance from the end of the tube on all D44s or not... as well as the axle flange diameter and bolt pattern..
and werent all IH 44s passenger side diff? or just some of them?

I got a scout rear dana 44 from an 80 scout (so it says on the axle) and it's centered.

of course, if you're talking about the front axle then yes.

Back