• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ disc brake swap

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
So from what I can glean from the net is, the KJ swap out is only for the 8.5 Chrysler rear end and the ZJ swap out applies to the D35c diff. Is this correct?

Yes, that's pretty much it.........
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1133743
P1080476_zpsqxsz0amm.jpg

Well that was three years ago, so yes I'm enjoying the KJ and my WJ brakes so much I wished I had done that 20 years ago.

You can swap the ZJ discs onto the Chrysler 8.25" as I have done it. Just have to open the backing plates ever so slightly to fit over the 'ends of the axle' (not sure I said that correctly) but it's not hard. I'd guess a lot more ZJ's at the salvage yards but could be just as easy to find the KJ these days. I did my ZJ disc swap a few years back on my '01 XJ. Good luck!

Still my original question has not been answered in clarity. Is the KJ disc brake swap to an XJ, specific only to a Chrysler 8.5 diff? Can it be done with a D35c? I have read it is an easy bolt on swap to the C 8.5. Not much info on a switch on the D35c. Is it possible? For the ZJ swap, is the axle opening only needed to be enlarged with the C 8.5 or with the D35c as well? Hate to sound like a butt. Thanks for everyone's help so far. Maybe that info isn't available yet.

Honestly I don't know regarding the D35c as I've only done it on my 8.25" Someone else will have to chime in on that. I'm super happy that I did the swap.

I could be wrong, but the ZJ and KJ are direct bolt on for 8.25 diffs. If you have a dana 44 or 35 c you will need to modify the bolt pattern/holes on the backing plate and the plate that sets the axle bearing pre load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be wrong, but the ZJ and KJ are direct bolt on for 8.25 diffs. If you have a dana 44 or 35 c you will need to modify the bolt pattern/holes on the backing plate and the plate that sets the axle bearing pre load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZJ brakes have to be modified to fit a C8.25 thus the reason for using KJ brakes off a C8.25.

So if I were to swap out my D35 for a C8.25 under my 01 XJ I could reuse my current ZJ disks by simply enlarging the center hole diameter of the backing plate? Axle flange bolt pattern is the same?

So if I were to swap out my D35 for a C8.25 under my 01 XJ I could reuse my current ZJ disks by simply enlarging the center hole diameter of the backing plate? Axle flange bolt pattern is the same?

Good question. I am only sure that you have to enlarge the center hole to fit over the axle 'flange' ... but not sure on the 4 bolt pattern of the D35 vs C8.25? Could maybe find that on Google... or I'm sure someone here can answer that.

Axle flange pattern is not the same. KJ, Ford explorer, wrangler tj, crown Victoria and zj brakes are all interchangeable if you redrill or grind flange pattern

Crown DBC-06 and DBC-07 are bolt in disc brake parking brake cables for the 97+.

I haven't done a pre 97 since before those were available do have an answer.

After swapping discs over a couple years back on my '01 XJ I just got around to adding emergency brake cables last week. Ha... here's what I got for my '01.

From Morris 4x4:

RT OFF-ROAD PARKING BRAKE CABLE FOR DISC BRAKES, 34.25" - REAR LEFTSKU: RT31041 1 $20.99
RT OFF-ROAD PARKING BRAKE CABLE FOR DISC BRAKES, 70.5" - REAR RIGHTSKU: RT31040 1 $20.99
Subtotal $41.98
Shipping & Handling $11.99
Grand Total $53.97

After swapping discs over a couple years back on my '01 XJ I just got around to adding emergency brake cables last week. Ha... here's what I got for my '01.

From Morris 4x4:

RT OFF-ROAD PARKING BRAKE CABLE FOR DISC BRAKES, 34.25" - REAR LEFTSKU: RT31041 1 $20.99
RT OFF-ROAD PARKING BRAKE CABLE FOR DISC BRAKES, 70.5" - REAR RIGHTSKU: RT31040 1 $20.99
Subtotal $41.98
Shipping & Handling $11.99
Grand Total $53.97

For a ZJ or KJ swap?

Back