• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 xj with 8.8 exhaust hitting driveshaft. Looking for recommendations on new system

HuntFish 01XJ

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with a 8.8 rear, and a 4.5" lift and sye.

I am looking for a recommendation for exhaust systems that will work better and give me more clearance. Current exhaust is original and falling off.

If you have a exhaust system that work well please post pictures too.

Very similar issue on my '94 but the TW driveshaft ended up being more of a problem. If the 8.8 pumpkin is your only issue, grinding off most of the flange on the side of the pumpkin, and using a shorter muffler, like a Borla ProXS, will give you enough room. I ran that for a while until the rubber boot on my TW driveshaft disintegrated from the heat. Now I'm running a MagnaFlow round-body (10425 I believe). Either way, you'll probably need to add a small extension since both are shorter than stock. Going with a center outlet rotates the turn-down at the back a little. I had to shorten mine and add a new turn-down due to my shackle location.

I do beleive 2001 was only offered with the Cali emission -- that means you have 2 pre-cats and 4 O2 sensors

Your kinda stuck with some version of what you have if you want to keep it legal and keep the check engine light off

Might have to go custom downpipes with welded in pre-cats

It's not hitting the axle housing just the driveshaft. I'm just looking to replace after the cats, after all the emissions. And correct there are two pre cats in the manifold and another after the bend over to the passenger side.

It shouldn't be hitting, is there something wrong with the stock set-up?

It shouldn't be hitting, is there something wrong with the stock set-up?

Yes it's old and falling off. When it was intact it still hit the muffler, I hammered a dent in it to alleviate that problem. Just seeing what exhaust systems people were running and hopefully get some pics installed with a 8.8

Ford 8.8 and exhaust pics.

IMG_0738_zpsqcfdxll0.jpg

IMG_0736_zpsirf1vbxb.jpg

IMG_0737_zpszog7udjk.jpg

IMG_0739_zps77zrjgl9.jpg

IMG_0740_zpsvei0tw2s.jpg

I've got an 01 with an 8.8 and about the same lift height and never had an issue.

I'll crawl under it when I get home tonight and see if I can figure out what kind of muffler it has; I haven't changed up the exhaust but the PO may have.

I have seen this issue before even in older body Jeeps (i.e. 96). On the 8.8 the pumpkin is skewed to the passenger side towards the muffler. A "less wide" muffler than stock/stock shape will help.

Back