• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel sizing

OB1214

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys... I want to get different wheels but don't under stand the whole wheel sizing and stuff. I was wondering if these wheels will fit. thanks, Owen

SPECIFICATIONS
Pro Comp Steel Wheels | Part Number: PCW51-5865F
Wheel Width:8 Inches
Style:Rock Crawler Series 51
Finish:Black
Construction:Steel
Wheel Diameter:15 Inches
Offset:0
Backspacing:4.5
Fitment:Universal Fit
Brand:pro Comp Steel Wheels
Bolt Pattern:5 on 4.5
Series:51 Series District
Series - Finish:51 Series - Flat Black
TECHNICAL DETAILS
Wheel Size: 15x8
Bolt Pattern: 5 on 4.5
Backspace: 3.75
Finish: Flat Black
Center caps not included
Center Caps and Lug Nuts Not Included
Replacement Center Cap Part Number: PXA1330017
California Residents: WARNING

FWIW, I chose 15x8 with a 3.625 backspacing. I love the look and the stance. But, I might choose a 16 next time so that I could do the WJ steering and braking conversion. My 15s aren't large enough to clear the larger brakes.

The backspacing tends to be the most important part on wheel sizing. The larger the back space number, the further the wheel will be inside the wheel well. So, depending on tire size, lift, fender cutting, you will want different backspace. Too much, and the tire will contract the control arms when turning tightly. Too little, and the tires stick way out, and increase the load on the unit bearings.

This link is a reasonable simple explanation: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Wheel_Backspace/tech_faq

Offset also comes in to play. Backspacing will change, based on wheel width and offset.

Finally, depending on your future plans and tire sizes, you may want to consider 16 or 17" wheels. 15" tires in larger sizes are becoming less popular and available, though not gone. And, as tumble mentioned, if you do a larger brake upgrade, 15" may not fit over the caliper.

David Bricker / SYR

hey guys... I want to get different wheels but don't under stand the whole wheel sizing and stuff. I was wondering if these wheels will fit. thanks, Owen

How much suspension lift and what size tires are you going to put on these rims ?

I still find lots of choices for oversize tires and 15 inch rims.

I have the Pro-Comp Series 51s 15x8 w/ 3.75" backspacing on my 94 with ~3.5" of lift, aftermarket LCAs and 31x10.5s and they're just about perfect. You certainly don't want the 4.50" version.

3.75 - 4.25 offset is a very common choice. 4.5" of lift will fit 31" -32" tires nicely, but you may have to slightly trim the front bumper plastic ends. You will need to extend the bump stops.

Back