• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Labor Day Weekend - FYI

Horribilis

NAXJA Forum User
Fri, Sept 2 - Mon, Sept 5

Yes I know its early, but figured I would get the word out.

Me, the wife and new baby, along with a couple of other peeps plan to go camping out at Camp Hale (about 20-30 mins South of Vail). It is National Forest land where camping is allowed through out the valley for FREE. There also happens to be a paid camp ground in the valley - but that's no fun...dogs have to stay tied up there!

Anyway, Leadville is about 20 mins South of Camp Hale, and Vail is back North about 25 mins. The Camp Hale valley is full of trails for Jeeping, mountain biking, ATVing (there is even an outfitter in the valley that rents out ATV's), and dirt biking. The Eagle River runs through the valley, so fishing is easily accessible. Turquoise Lake (back near Leadville) and Homestake Reservoir are both 30 min drives away for more fishing, swimming, or boating.

I know there are 4x4 trails around there because I have ridden dirt-bikes out there, but have not gone Jeeping out there yet. Any suggestions for moderate Jeep trails out there? A little drive away at Homestake is the Holy Cross trail, but I'm told that is a bit more advanced.

Me and the old lady were thinking of taking the girls out on laborday as well! We'll tenitavly plan on joining ya! Holy cross is fun and not that terribly hard except for French creek! What's your setup? Cleveland rock is at the end of the trail and is real tuff but most peeps just turn around before that!

Re: Labot Day Weekend - FYI

I reckon we can also run Ptarmigan Pass and McAllister Gulch right out of Camp Hale.

See my signature for set-up. Oh but I got a winch at the Jeep Fest Yesterday, so I need to add that.

Sounds good well plan on it! Were down to run whatever you wanta run! And def gonna do some fishin!

If I am in town that weekend, I would be up for going along. PM me as it gets closer.

You could also do Yoder Gulch. It is across the hwy from Camp Hale. You can either drive up No Name Road (easy dirt road) and come down Yoder, or make it somewhat more interesting and go up Yoder.

Lime Creek is also up there off of Shrine Pass Road near where Wearyman's Creek dumps you out.

We still on for this trip? Me and the fam are looking forward to it anyone else gonna make it? I have a couple friends planning on coming along! We're planning on heading up either Thursday night or Early friday morning to save a spot!

I heard that camping in the camp hale area is now limited to the FS camp ground should we go camp closer to Holy cross? Maybe on the road that leads to the trail head? We should figure out where and how many peeps so everyone knows where to meet and when!

I am still planning on going even though the XJ was stolen. It'll just be a leisurely camping weekend for me. WIfe isn't sure yet if she is coming (with our 10 wk old daughter).

At anyrate - I expect a few dirt-bikers/ATVers to be along. A few Jeepers to be along, and a few "just hanging out around camp, riding bicycles, tending to the fire, throwing a line in the stream" kinda folks along. I'll be heading out on Friday to find a spot. I'll be driving my truck out (link to photo of my truck) I'm not sure yet if I am bringing the camper or if I'll just be tenting it.

NOTE: there is an actual Forest Service campground, and a group use campground...I will NOT be in either of those - I will be in a dispersed (free) camping spot elsewhere in the valley. Look for the truck. If you have a two-way radio, I will be on channel 11...cell phones don't work out there.

P.S. I called the Holy Cross Ranger District and the woman I spoke with said that she believes only part of Camp Hale is currently restricted from dispersed camping (as has always been the case) in the shooting range/mine field area.​

Back