• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom plug wires

Accell makes plug wire kits. They also always stock a universal kit where you put one end on the wires. They come with a wide variety of boots. I always get the universal kit and custom cut and route the wires. Every standard kit I have ever gotten has the wires way to long and they flap around and cross. I also like to run the coiled wire stuff similar to the old Packard 440 wire. You get a good fat spark but they keep the radio noise manageable.

I'll p/u a set of JK wires to get me going. Until I finalize the mount I have no idea what wires I'm going to need. My chromoly will be in tomorrow so I will give myself a couple inches of adjustability before I make the final mount.

Just a test -- RCP can you see a picture here?

picture.php

I still don't see them.

I went to your albums and saw your pics. I'm hoping to clean that up some, we'll see!

Like I said, I just used a random set of wires I already owned -- They are either from a 97 cherokee or a 98 grand Cherokee -- had wires from both and I don't remember which ones I used

I do remember when I was putting them on that I planned to make custom wires and make it all pretty just never got around to it -- it does run just fine

I also cut the coil connector off, extended and spliced it all back together -- figured I was never going to go back the the coil rail so why did I need to keep the stock wiring harness intact -- also saved time and money by not having to track down the proper extension piece

I just received my wire harness today so I will get this started this weekend. One harness will be used to get me running, while the other will get the pin-outs changed to accommodate the way I want the coil to fire. In the mean time I can get measurements and order a set of wires.
P1080674_zps6rqerya2.jpg

Got everything done today, except measure for the new wires. It's running but no pics of the KJ rat's nest!
P1080675_zpsvsbum1kw.jpg

P1080677_zpsisntckwg.jpg

P1080678_zpsg6lmhgja.jpg

Mounting the coil to the engine is a different way of doing this, I had not seen before, i like it.
It's occupying part of the space where the coil rail used to sit.
My 2001's engine bay doesn't have room available next to the coolant bottle, the winch controller and battery switch are located there.

4405035331_7a13b628a3.jpg

I would love to get rid of the coil rail and use a Viper coil. The coil rail is difficult to removed, for access to the plugs.
The serpentine belt needs to be loosened and the A/C compressor unbolted and moved sideways to get enough room to remove the rail.
The stock coil rail wiring is so short, it was just about impossible to get the coil out until the wires running to the coil were lengthened 15", now the coil can be moved out of the way without having to unclip the hard to reach coil's plug.

Wonder how the smog inspectors would respond to this? It wouldn't make a bit of difference to the actual emissions but it wouldn't be OEM. I need to think about this.

I'll try to get some better pics when I get the new wires. Some of the JK set of wires are almost 3' long so they are all coiled into a mess right now.

Since I need to measure for wires today, I snapped a pic...
P1080680_zpsdxn5vgd0.jpg

Has anyone considered using the earlier coil pack? It has the plug leads facing forward off the coils. The plug is totally different then the jeep plug but since there's an adapter/extender there's no reason you couldn't use the different plug. Does anyone have the data sheet for the viper coil pack?

I sent in my measurements to Mark last night and called him this morning. He's already on it and thought they would be shipped out today.

It sure is nice having the rail gone, so easy to work on things!

Very cool idea w/that mounted on the Engine Side vs the Coolant Overflow side.

I did the viper coil install several years back and have NEVER really cared for my make-shift fabwork to mount the coil. It's worked great for all this time, but I don't care much for it visually and it clutters up that area of the engine bay. I'd prefer to swap it over to be mounted on the Engine I think. Did you make that mount or have it done by someone? I'd like to get more details on that if you have it. When I did my conversion I used bout a set of Taylor Universal V8 plug wires w/the appropriate ends, then just cut them to fit my application the way I wanted. Something to consider for your application.

Back