• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension choices. Ready to pull the trigger. :)

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
I run a heavy rig full of people and stuff.

Here's my choices of upgrade parts that I recently got a quote for from a local parts place:

-RE 3.5" full leaf superride kit
-RE adj. trackbar
-Bilstein 5100 shocks
-Currie Correctlink HD steering.

This will completely upgrade my previously installed bastid packs that I've run for a couple years, and my tired steering setup.

I've already got JKS quicker's installed that will allow me to delete the RE ones. Also, the adj trackbar seems to be the upgrade of choice, to avoid having to re-drill the factory hole, correct?

This rig is 90% highway, 10% off-highway doing chores on our land, with a plan to run the rubicon either this year or next year, with a Moab trip possible in 2014 as well.

You want the RE1660 track bar and RE1665 bracket.

You'll want an adjustable trackbar so you don't have to drill the axle side bracket. Both the 1600 and 1660 track bars are adjustable, however the 1600 requires you to drill the stock frame side bracket and it's single shear. I've never been able to keep mine tight. I just ordered the 1660 and bracket this week. I started with the same kit you're looking at.

Has RE completely resoved the Super-ride bushing problems?
My old set of Supr-ride CAs ate bushings.

Has RE completely resoved the Super-ride bushing problems?
My old set of Supr-ride CAs ate bushings.

Winna-Winna...thanks for chiming in, sir. That's the kind of info I'm trying to double check...

I like what I like, and have heard they're good to go since RE re-opened, but I don't want to be a guinea pig.

As far as expeditions, that will depend on your wheels, axles and gears.

I have installed the same kit and was not happy with ride and steering.

Ended up changing the shackles to JKS (factory were standing straight as the Rubicon springs are short).

Ended up changing the coils to 4.5" so the lift was more even.

Ended up adding LCA drop brackets to improve ride in front and for better steering. Naturally this had to come with adjustable LCAs and UCAs (IRO).

Changed the Rubicon disconnects to JKS.

Had to move the sway bar, as the disconnects were touching the coils.

Added the 1685 bracket.

Added a better tie rod.

Would have been cheaper to get a better lift from the start (and long arms).

As far as expeditions, that will depend on your wheels, axles and gears.

I have installed the same kit and was not happy with ride and steering.

Ended up changing the shackles to JKS (factory were standing straight as the Rubicon springs are short).

Ended up changing the coils to 4.5" so the lift was more even.

Ended up adding LCA drop brackets to improve ride in front and for better steering. Naturally this had to come with adjustable LCAs and UCAs (IRO).

Changed the Rubicon disconnects to JKS.

Had to move the sway bar, as the disconnects were touching the coils.

Added the 1685 bracket.

Added a better tie rod.

Would have been cheaper to get a better lift from the start (and long arms).

1.Ride would be better with the Bilsteins as mentioned
2.The JKS shackles aren't going to change the shackle angle(for the better), however a shackle relocaters will.
3.You had your JKS discos adjust wrong, you need to add more length

I believe that the newer RE1660HD TB comes with the larger sleeve/bushing for the axle side. Mine was an older one that had the 10mm or whatever stock was. You can use either bushing, they are sub 10$ typically. Before I got my deal on my 1660hd/brace I was running a 1600 with a modified stock bracket in double sheer. No issues. If you choose to go with the cheaper TB I would still recommend some some sort of double sheer bracket, whether it be RE, clayton, or modified.

I like what I like, and have heard they're good to go since RE re-opened, but I don't want to be a guinea pig.
After the poor experience I had with Superride bushings, I would want to give RE a few years to prove themselves with their 'improved' bushings.
Stock arms have bushings at both end but they can also twist, something the Superride CAs can't do. They make up the movement by distorting the rubber bushings even more. That's why many prefer at least one flex joint in each arm.
Upgrading to CAs with flex joint (R.E., Currie, etc) would be a good move IMO. Another option is JKS's CAs that still have rubber bushings but twist in the middle on HD screws. I have run a mix, JKS LCAs and RE Superflex UCAs, for over 50,000 miles without any part failures. The Superflex joints do require adjusting periodically but isn't a big deal with the right spanner (mine is a simple homemade one). There are a lot of good arms on the market.

After the poor experience I had with Superride bushings, I would want to give RE a few years to prove themselves with their 'improved' bushings.
Stock arms have bushings at both end but they can also twist, something the Superride CAs can't do. They make up the movement by distorting the rubber bushings even more. That's why many prefer at least one flex joint in each arm.
Upgrading to CAs with flex joint (R.E., Currie, etc) would be a good move IMO. Another option is JKS's CAs that still have rubber bushings but twist in the middle on HD screws. I have run a mix, JKS LCAs and RE Superflex UCAs, for over 50,000 miles without any part failures. The Superflex joints do require adjusting periodically but isn't a big deal with the right spanner (mine is a simple homemade one). There are a lot of good arms on the market.

part number RE3715 is an adj. Superride lower control arm. It would give the ride of rubber (he-he), with the twist-ability of the stock arms just like the JKS's do.

Interesting choice, IMO.

OK, so I'm going to add these to the parts list:

HD Track Bar - RE1660,
HD Track Bar double shear bracket -RE1665
HD Track Bar cross member - RE1670

I want to have a bombproof setup, that will handle years of daily driving and any kind of wheeling trip I have time for without question on locked 33's.

I'm gettin' excited. :)

Do not remember if on here, or cherokee forum, but there is someone selling the RE track bar BRACE for a good price. I would snatch that up meow, if you can afford.

Back