• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lap top Scanner

Hi,

I looking in to getting a scan tool that I can use with my lap top. I wanted to ask if any of you guys can recommend a brand that you like.

I'm assuming we're talking about OBD-II scanners. Going with that assumption:

Not to give you a non-answer, but the best OBD-II scanner will be the one that works with whatever software you decide to go with. Check the software vendor's compatibility list, and we'll go from there - not all OBD-II units work with all software and vice-versa.

Also, some units are USB, some use serial ports. If you don't have a serial port or a supported USB-to-serial adapter, this will dictate your choices somewhat. In general, I'd recommend sticking with straight USB if that's what you have; USB-to-serial converters can be their own headache.

For your Renix/OBDI/OBDII?

First rule of NAXJA Club--always post your vehicles particulars.

Second rule of NAXJA Club--always post your vehicles particulars.

Third rule of NAXJA Club--when in doubt, always post your vehicles particulars.

Not to give you a non-answer, but the best OBD-II scanner will be the one that works with whatever software you decide to go with. Check the software vendor's compatibility list, and we'll go from there - not all OBD-II units work with all software and vice-versa.

You know what happens when we A**ume!! :D

Far as I recall Khary's got a 97+, so OBD II would be my bet.

Thinkgeek.com has some really neat OBD II tools - logging modules, instant display of mileage/other stats, USB adapters, etc. I've been wishing I could justify buying them for a while.

Thinkgeek.com has some really neat OBD II tools - logging modules, instant display of mileage/other stats, USB adapters, etc. I've been wishing I could justify buying them for a while.

Off-topic: I'll be doing a project hopefully in the next couple of months to build out the long-anticipated onboard PC. I've got the hardware nailed down for it, and am probably going to do a bluetooth OBD-II reader for realtime telemetry & performance monitoring. Let me know if you're interested in this; I'd be up for comparing notes.

Definitely interested. I like snooping about and playing with vehicular electronics of most types... I'm pretty sure the only CCD bus device I don't have sitting on my desk at home right now is an airbag control module and that's because it's on my desk at work.

I need to finish up a couple projects first though.

Definitely interested. I like snooping about and playing with vehicular electronics of most types... I'm pretty sure the only CCD bus device I don't have sitting on my desk at home right now is an airbag control module and that's because it's on my desk at work.

I need to finish up a couple projects first though.

Cool, good to hear. FWIW, This isn't going to happen tomorrow; it's still a ways off. My basic thoughts on it are here if you want to see how far I've got with it, which isn't very. The end goals are starting to firm up, but that's about it.

Anyway, back on-topic. Sorry for the hijack.

Also, some units are USB, some use serial ports. If you don't have a serial port or a supported USB-to-serial adapter, this will dictate your choices somewhat. In general, I'd recommend sticking with straight USB if that's what you have; USB-to-serial converters can be their own headache.

I thought that they came with softwear.

Thanks I'm gonna check them out now

I thought that they came with softwear.

It depends on what you buy. Some come bundled, some don't. It makes sense to get a bundled package since you're going to need software in order to use the hardware anyway, but figured it would be worth mentioning since they're not always clear as to what exactly comes with the respective packages.

Thanks I'm gonna check them out now

Definitely let us know what you come up with - it's an area that at least a few of us are interested in as well.

Hi,

I looking in to getting a scan tool that I can use with my lap top. I wanted to ask if any of you guys can recommend a brand that you like.

thanks

Some good ideas posted above.

Do you want software and a cable to hook to your laptop, or a scanner that is capable of downloading to your laptop/software?

As posted above, there is a little goodie you plug into the OBDII port and it records data, then you download from it to your laptop.

Give use some more info on what you want to accomplish.

is there a real time laptop scanner for the renix? i really could use one. or i might just swap over to mega squirt 3 with sequential and cpp

The only setup I know of for the Renix is the original DRB and I think Snap-On had a cable and card for one of their bricks.

Renix is always real time--no code storage.

so in other words renix people are screwed.

Some good ideas posted above.

Do you want software and a cable to hook to your laptop, or a scanner that is capable of downloading to your laptop/software?

As posted above, there is a little goodie you plug into the OBDII port and it records data, then you download from it to your laptop.

Give use some more info on what you want to accomplish.

I always thought it would be cool and cheaper to have a cable and software to hook my laptop up to. I'd like to just be able to monitor and log the basic stuff not sure if it can be viewed real-time?

,for my 97.

Back