• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver side lights don't work:(

ABN146

NAXJA Forum User
On my 97 XJ 4.0 the left tail light and the left front park and side light quit working. Everything else will come on, like the head light, signals and break lights. Fuses look good (I think) and the light bulbs are all good.

I can not figure out why they will not turn on and I have no idea where to start looking for the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Would bad wiring (I don't think its bad, but...) on a trailer I hooked up to the Jeep cause the problem by burning up a wire somewhere? The trailer's tail lights also don't work but the brake and signals do.

We planned to go to Moab tomorrow early but I wasted this evening trying to figure it out instead of packing. This sucks!

Last edited:
Possible headlight switch? And this may or may not help, but I know in my old mustang the ignition switch sometimes is the problem with headlight issues.

The maker lights have a fuse for the left and right in the kick panel and a fuse under the hood for the system. My right side has a short and keep poping fuses.

Thank You! It was the fuse in the kick panel.... Funny thing is I have a FSM to solve all problems but I did not know that there was a fuse box in the cab. I thought the only one was under the hood. Well I guess it is better late to Moab than not to go at all.

Glad I could help, sometimes I am good for more than co2 for the plants.

Back