• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to camp/headquarters for the week

SandySteve

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
There has been a question about Slick Rock versus Canyonlands for camping and the headquarters for the Fall Fling 2016. The last couple of years people have preferred Canyonlands as a better-maintained facility. Slick Rock has not been maintained, and furthermore if you trailer a rig there is very limited parking for tow rigs and trailers at Slick Rock.

So, unless there is a big objection I suggest Canyonlands as the primary site for the Fall Fling, but you are welcome to stay anywhere else including a motel or even out on BLM lands if that suits you.

The only thing I can say for Slick Rock is that they are way more tolerant to working on vehicles, big bonfires, and loud parties till 2am. I agree that Canyon Lands is a ton nicer, and McDonalds is right across the street for a grab and go breakfast.

The only thing I can say for Slick Rock is that they are way more tolerant to working on vehicles, big bonfires, and loud parties till 2am. I agree that Canyon Lands is a ton nicer, and McDonalds is right across the street for a grab and go breakfast.

The last few times I was there they were not tolerant at all, someone called the Police. Canyonlands is a short walk to the Moab Brewery, screw McD's. :)

I reserved a deluxe tent site at Canyonlands for October 4-8. (The third I will be on the White Rim Trail. See other post) Will post up more when I have information. As last year, plan on staging at around 7:30 AM on the south side of City Market each day. No trail fees this year unless there are over 20 attendees and then we will have to account to the BLM. Now, start thinking what trails everyone wants to run.

Mariel & I will be in Canyonlands 9/30 to 10/9 spot #49, stop for a cold one.
Thom

Back