• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Interchangability by Year?

xjismydd

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92. I messed up the bumper. It is the older style with two Torx bolts on the bottom, and two in the front.

I want to go to the JY and not pull off all the bumpers until I find one. So I'm hoping someone knows if newer ones (where there are two Torx bits on top and two on the bottom) are compatible. Any other weird issues I should know about?

Thank you.

The old and new body style front bumpers do not bolt on interchange. The fender sheet metal and the bumper end caps are different as well.

84-96 interchange
97-01 interchange

You can make a 97-01 bumper work on yours as long as you get the brackets too but you will have to drill new holes for your end caps and the contour won't match perfectly, there will be extra holes in it, etc.

You can make a 97-01 bumper work on yours as long as you get the brackets too but you will have to drill new holes for your end caps and the contour won't match perfectly, there will be extra holes in it, etc.

The fenders will need to be trimmed also.

The fenders will need to be trimmed also.
Only if he was to use the 97+ end caps right? I was referencing using his original end caps. I didn't think you had to trim if you kept the older end caps.

Back