• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP ! RE 5.5 Lift on, drag link & tie rod joint hitting JKS disco, Pass side

Greg Nauman

NAXJA Forum User
Now that my RE 5.5 lift is fully installed and on the ground, I drove it tonight for first time. Before driving we found the drag link where the tie rod meets it right in front of the steering stabilizer is hitting the JKS disco and disco mount on the passenger side when I turn right. Only way I could drive it was with the disconnect disconnected and then it still hit the JKS pin at full lock. Anybody ran into this and what did you do? It makes no sense because I had a five inch lift on before this (tomken) and it didnt hit at all. I havent gotten it aligned yet but dont see how that could be the problem. Let me know

You may have a lift higher than 5.5", so either your caster or your OEM steering links are a bit out. Do you have a drop pitman? This will help bring down your drag link and reduce the angle at where the tie rod and drag link meet. Other wise at your lift you may think about upgrading your steering links, I know I am, I have the same problem and I have a drop pitman, with 6-6.5" in the front.

Hmmm, I had that same lift and didn't have the same problems. I know what you are talking about but do you have any pics so I could look at your situation.

No I dont have any pics, but let me try to visualize it for you. Basically the draglink that coms off the pitman arm goes down to the tierod and they connect together right in fron of the steering stabalizer. When I turn right or toward the passager side that knuckle where the draglink and tierod meet hits the bottom of the jks link. If i disconnect it hits the jks pin at almost full lock. I have heard this is common on lifts over 5.5 inches. But alot of people dont have the problem. I guess its like some people have to use the swaybar drop with this lift and some do not.

Although I don't have JKS discos, I had the problem of the drag link/tie rod knuckle hitting the bolt for the steering stabilizer. I went to a local nut & bolt supplier, bought a threaded rod (exact same size as the existing bolt) with a alan head countersunk in it. I then had a washer tack welded flush with the end of the new bolt (alan head end) so the only thickness sticking out for the knuckle to hit is the washer. I put a lock nut on the backside, tightened down the bolt with an alan wrench, and I was good to go. No more problems.

Good luck.

I had the same problem. Mark at ORGS sells longer sway bar mounting tabs for the axle. You cut off the existing tabs from the axle housing (kind of a PITA) and weld the new ones in place. They move the JKS mounting pin up an inch so the drag link passes underneath. I can take pics if you want but it was my first attempt at fabrication and it looks kind of booty-fabbed.

fixed the problem by heating the bracket up with a torch, and then taking two pry bars and bending/stretching the bracket straight up.

Back