• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans fluid brand and NGK plugs?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Based on the recommendations I got from you all, I have decided to use regular old dino trans fluid in my AW4 and stay away from the synthetic brands. Now for my question, as long as the fluid meets the Dexron III standard, does the brand really matter?

Also, does anyone know the NGK part number for spark plugs for a 4.0 in a 2000 XJ? I found the NGK V-Power number (7252) but am a little hesitant to use these due to lack of feedback on them. I have regular NGKs in my '88 XJ and they seem to perform great, but I seriously doubt the part numbers are the same.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Brian

Brain,

There was a TSB in the late 80s that talked about which ATF to use. The key thing is to examine the bottle for the Certification number. For Dextron this number begins with a "D".

If the AFT says "meets Dextron" but does not have the cert number on the bottle - usually the back label - then don't buy it. When the manufacturer meets GM's standards they are given a cert number and any company will make sure you know they passed the GM standard.

Martin

I use Quaker state mainly because it was the only brand available in a gallon jug.

As for spark plugs I use the NGk V-Powers in mine and I love them. I honestly feel they are the best plug out there. Of course I run NGK's in all my toys so I might be biased.

Back