• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB 97+ XJ 4x4

ih8cornnuts

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to get into an XJ and I'm looking into 97+ 4 doors w/ 4x4. I've got about 3k to spend, lower would be great. Its going to be our 3rd vehicle, the mini and beetle just arent cutting it for home depot trips, camping, dogs, etc anymore. Flexible on mileage, trim and color so long as its not green (I dont get my wife sometimes).

I've been scouring CL for the last couple of weeks, drove a couple, cant believe some of the dealers asking prices, had one that I thought was it until the 4x4 wouldnt work. "How many sales guys does it take to get an xj into 4x4?"

Thanks, John

Good luck man. I just spent 1 month searching until I found mine 2 days ago. Picked up a 1998 Classic 4wd with 109K miles in all around excellent condition for $4500 (lady needed the money)!

I know you said no green, but here's the only one out there that you'd probably be interested in right now. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2136726317.html

It's a 97 Sport with only 114K on it, asking $3500. I'm sure you could get it for $3,000 if you showed them the cash.

All I can tell you is be patient, one will come along. Seems like there's not much 4wd models out there for sale right now. The only other one I kept coming across was a guy in Acworth asking $3750 for his Sport model 1999 (I think) with 208K miles on it...he's crazy.

Thanks, I was reading through your thread yesterday. We've been looking for about a month solid now, I think I found one in Wilmington, NC (sister in-law lives there) thats a 98 limited w/ 205k for 2500 that I'm really leaning towards. Link What do you think?

Thanks for that one in snellville and I might just go look at it. Its a great buy especially with the mileage. Somehow I think I missed that one, that or dismissed it because of the color. If I got a divorce this would be so much easier :)

That Acworth one has been fs since before thanksgiving, he is nuts.

Thanks, I was reading through your thread yesterday. We've been looking for about a month solid now, I think I found one in Wilmington, NC (sister in-law lives there) thats a 98 limited w/ 205k for 2500 that I'm really leaning towards. Link What do you think?

Thanks for that one in snellville and I might just go look at it. Its a great buy especially with the mileage. Somehow I think I missed that one, that or dismissed it because of the color. If I got a divorce this would be so much easier :)

That Acworth one has been fs since before thanksgiving, he is nuts.

That one in Wilmington looks decent, as much as it can in an ad anyways. The only downside is it's in Wilmington but at least you'd have other reason to visit. My biggest concerns with it would be rust in places other than most casual owners would know about and a leaky rear main. That rear main is NO fun to replace with the engine in the vehicle. It was designed to be replaced on a stand. It's good that the water pump and ac compressor have been replaced.

I'd say check it out if you're heading up there. I'd still go look at the one in Snellville...even though it's green.

Snellville one is sold, sucks too cause I finally convinced my wife that overall condition trumps color. She's on a "freedom" kick and is willing to paint it in the driveway now.

I'm gonna do some major research before making that trek to NC and hopefully (fingers really tightly crossed) one pops up around here.

Snellville one is sold, sucks too cause I finally convinced my wife that overall condition trumps color. She's on a "freedom" kick and is willing to paint it in the driveway now.

I'm gonna do some major research before making that trek to NC and hopefully (fingers really tightly crossed) one pops up around here.

After a trip to Gastonia, NC and almost another trip to Bryson City, NC mine popped up 15 minutes from the house.

That black ones gotta be a scam, its on multiple cities but I emailed anyway 2 days ago for the one on the Macon CL. Havent heard back, the guy is probably sick of me emailing him for each scam he posts.

I just got an email on that green one w/ the sellers info so I'll call him here shortly.

Thanks B

That black ones gotta be a scam, its on multiple cities but I emailed anyway 2 days ago for the one on the Macon CL. Havent heard back, the guy is probably sick of me emailing him for each scam he posts.

I just got an email on that green one w/ the sellers info so I'll call him here shortly.

Thanks B

I just realized that black one doesn't have a phone no. listed. One of the scams going on right now is an internet pay-per-click scam that actually doesn't hurt you, only helps the scammer. They get you to click on a non-harmful link and it credits them with getting traffic to a website. Could be what he's doing.

Call him now! :D Let us know what happens with it.

Back