• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: 97-01 XJ Auto, 4WD

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
So some plans have changed and I'm now looking for a 1997-2001 XJ. Must be 4WD, auto and have power windows/locks. It's not going to be a trail vehicle so it needs to be in good condition.

Let me know if you have anything or come across something good! I'm going to look at one either tomorrow morning or Sunday morning but it's about two hours away.

So some plans have changed and I'm now looking for a 1997-2001 XJ. Must be 4WD, auto and have power windows/locks. It's not going to be a trail vehicle so it needs to be in good condition.

Let me know if you have anything or come across something good! I'm going to look at one either tomorrow morning or Sunday morning but it's about two hours away.

There is a 2k down the street in awesome condition, all stock, red and low miles. 100k on it.

$4500

There is a 2k down the street in awesome condition, all stock, red and low miles. 100k on it.

$4500

Wow...wonder if that was a tow-behind-the-RV vehicle? Unfortunately that's going to be logistically impossible for me to get to Roanoke anytime soon. I'll hold out for something close. Some gray hair has got to be thinking about upgrading to a Liberty and selling their Cherokee soon.

What do you guys think of this? Price feels a little high to me.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/2125121050.html

I'm about 2.5 hours away from it so I thought about calling them today and asking if $4K cash would do the deal. I normally don't like discussing $$$ on the phone but since I am 2.5 hours away I wouldn't want to waste my time driving up there if they're not flexible.

And then there's this. Low mileage and I think the asking price is in the right ballpark. I could probably snag it for $3500 but it's a Sport and I was hoping to get a Classic or even Limited if I could find one.

And yes, I'm having to look outside my immediate area. The only thing I've found close to me is a 2000 Sport with 209K on the clock and asking $3750. The guy just bought it recently as a 2nd vehicle, put new tires on it and now decided he wants to sell it to put money into his Z71. Trying to stay away from +180K on the mileage.

Wow. That thing is super clean. If there aren't any mechanical issues with it, might be worth the money.

Wow. That thing is super clean. If there aren't any mechanical issues with it, might be worth the money.

Just talked to the guy, he said $4500 is "probably about as low as I can go". That means if I hand him $4300 cash he'd take it....:laugh:. I was really trying to keep under $4K but I may have to go look at this one. He said the engine isn't leaking or seaping oil anywhere....:loveu:

I don't know if I'll come across another one this clean looking.

I know we ALWAYS get caught up with price, but if you plan on keeping it and want something clean then you might just pay the premium. That thing will last forever if you keep up with maintenance. Plus, like you said it is very hard to find a really clean one like that. Are you going to fly out there and drive back?

I know we ALWAYS get caught up with price, but if you plan on keeping it and want something clean then you might just pay the premium. That thing will last forever if you keep up with maintenance. Plus, like you said it is very hard to find a really clean one like that. Are you going to fly out there and drive back?

Very true about paying the premium for the clean one.

He's about 2.5 hours away, straight shot on 85 North, so I'm going to drive there with my wife in her car and if I like it I'll drive it home. The only thing that may throw it off is we're expecting snow so I'm not sure how the roads will be. Of course, it's supposed to snow while I DON'T have a 4wd and am trying to go buy one!

Well I just got back from looking at the 1998 red Classic...:doh:. That sums it up. The search continues...

What was wrong with it?

The ad and what he told me was very misleading. I was told it was a "very clean" Cherokee. No rust, no oil leaks, clean interior, no good tires, etc.

Well, the paint was very nice but beyond that it was not that great. Very bad rust underneath and in the engine bay, front seal leaked, power steering probably needed a constant feed of fluid b/c it leaked so bad, interior was dingy and seats were worn, tires were cupped badly in the front. Oh, did I mention it was rusty? What made it all worse is the kids dad who met us with the Jeep was rude.

They were asking $4900...wouldn't have given them $2500 for it.

Wow. I don't understand why people won't just tell you straight up about things. It would have saved everybody time and money. Keep looking, something will turn up.

Wow. I don't understand why people won't just tell you straight up about things. It would have saved everybody time and money. Keep looking, something will turn up.

Amen. Especially when they know you are driving over 2 hours to see it. :banghead:

Oh well, that's the last time I go look at a Jeep when a kid owns it. Sorry no offense to you kids, I'm 27, but this is the 3rd time during this present search that I've had a bad experience with one.

I found a 2001 with 145K on it near me. The only problem is the fenders are cut and has cheap bedliner spayed on the sides...it's basically the newer version of my Jeep I just sold and I want one that is normal looking now, normal meaning all one color paint and fenders complete.

I've been thinking about driving up to see this one but I'm now a little gun shy about traveling 2 hours to see a Jeep considering some people's version of "no rust" or "no leaks' is different from mine. http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/2113871068.html Guy said it was real clean and a "sharp little Jeep".

Anybody in the Bryson City area who wants to help a brother out? I could throw in a little finders fee if it were good. :D

I wonder if it has the good head and intake? Did he say when it was made?

I was thinking they went to the new style intake and head later in the production run of 99, I could be wrong though.

Well I found "the one" today and just brought her home about an hour ago!

1998 Cherokee Classic, Automatic, 4WD (NP231)
-108K Miles!!!
-Chili Pepper Red
-Super Clean both inside and out
-No rust
-No oil leaks

I think I got it for a steal...$4,500 considering the condition and low mileage. I'll throw up a pic sometime tomorrow.

Back