• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing up for WinterFest

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
Well I really am planning on going to WF this year. And I am sort of a noob in all ways, especially these NAXJA events. So I thought I would ask a few questions.

Im sure this has probably been covered else where, but searching didnt give me definitive results.

Firstly, I understand you need front and rear attachment points. I have the front covered with an aftermarket bumper. The rear however has no attachment points. My solution is to get a towing hitch and put a D-ring mount in it.
Is this good enough?

Also, A fire extinguisher. Working on that too. Do you guys have specific mounts for them or just let have a place for them among your other stuff?

Lastly how much money do you guys spend at this. Including everything such as entry cost, food, gas ect?

You seem to have the front recovery point taken care of.

As for the rear a hitch with a d-ring reciever is what i run as well. Perfectly ok.

If you go to Lowes, they have fire extinguishers with small mounts included. Check it out.

As for price; regular $20 entry into the park, WF registry fee ,gas there and back, pack a lunch with snacks, dinner is at the vfw and included in your entry fee i believe so no charge there.

So when all is said and done, about $100. Thats what I spent last year.

Well I really am planning on going to WF this year. And I am sort of a noob in all ways, especially these NAXJA events. So I thought I would ask a few questions.

Im sure this has probably been covered else where, but searching didnt give me definitive results.

Firstly, I understand you need front and rear attachment points. I have the front covered with an aftermarket bumper. The rear however has no attachment points. My solution is to get a towing hitch and put a D-ring mount in it.
Is this good enough?

Also, A fire extinguisher. Working on that too. Do you guys have specific mounts for them or just let have a place for them among your other stuff?

Lastly how much money do you guys spend at this. Including everything such as entry cost, food, gas ect?

Hitch w/ a d-ring is perfect. I had my extinguisher mounted in the back on my old rig. I will probably mount it closer to the driver seat this time. Depending on what you want to spend. Its 20 to get in I think its 30 for registration . There is a dinner at a local place called Robie's on thursday night and a Potluck dinner Friday. Also, You get a meal ticket for a catered dinner on saturday night. That is where the raffle takes place and its worth it if you go to that. Remember there is also a swap meet so If you need parts or have some to trade post them up in the swap meet thread. Also, If you become a member you won't get picked on as much! :D

Make sure you can get to your extinguisher. It might not be you on fire, but it always takes more than one of those small extiguishers to put out someone else's electrical fire. The more people that come running, the better chance we have of saving someone's ride.

why not just pack a big one hasta

Because I'm in a Jeep, not a warehouse.

Ever see a really cool car fire, something that started under the hood?
I don't care how big your extinguisher is, after about 5 minutes you're screwed anyway. At least if all 6 or 8 vehicles in your group have one, you've got a fighting chance to put it out and save what's left.

I don't care how big your extinguisher is, after about 5 minutes you're screwed anyway. At least if all 6 or 8 vehicles in your group have one, you've got a fighting chance to put it out and save what's left.

Yeah I've seen what happens when you have an engine fire. It ain't purty!

never seen a jeep, but i did see a dsm completely burn to the ground at the subaru vs dsm shootout a few years ago. probably one of the coolest things i have witnessed. sucked big time for the guy though. i also have seen a lamborghini go up in flames.

and i personally have gotten a range rover sport supercharged stuck in the mud, then it went up in flames for a short amount of time, no real damage was done to that though, just some grass caught fire leading to more grass on fire.

Ok so in all seriousness, how many of the trails will I be able to go on?

I am running open/open on 235s ATs, stock suspension. Id say I have a moderate amount of wheeling experience, I just don't know what to expect at WF.

Also, If you guys dont think Id be able to get anywhere around this place (with out significant damage, I know how you mwc guys are LOL) , what are the chances I could ride along with people who own more capable rigs?

Yep. Every year we have stock rigs show up and they always have a great time. If you decide you want to ride on a harder trail, just ask. Somebody will have an open seat.

Ok so in all seriousness, how many of the trails will I be able to go on?

I am running open/open on 235s ATs, stock suspension. Id say I have a moderate amount of wheeling experience, I just don't know what to expect at WF.

Also, If you guys dont think Id be able to get anywhere around this place (with out significant damage, I know how you mwc guys are LOL) , what are the chances I could ride along with people who own more capable rigs?

i would reccommend rock rails if you can afford...that will allow to try more fun stuff...if you can't, you'll still have fun...

mac 'rocker knocker' gyvr

i would reccommend rock rails if you can afford...that will allow to try more fun stuff...if you can't, you'll still have fun...

mac 'rocker knocker' gyvr

Im developing quite a WF wish list...

Anybody is welcome to PM me if they have rock rails, a hitch, a d ring mount, a fire extinguisher ect for sale.

How about recovery straps?

I have one non elastic tow strap (30ft, no metal ends) That I always carry. I figure you guys have lots of those regardless right?

EDIT: Dang rock rails are expensive... Probably not going to happen anytime soon on this budget.

Last edited:
^i got my hitch from my local napa they hooked me up with a "frequent shoppers discount" haha i was short a few bucks so they knocked off 25% for me. its a valley hitch, i liked it better than the hidden hitch because it kind of protects my stock bumper from getting ripped off and somewhat protects my gas tank. and i just went to my local harbor freight/ tractor supply place and got a rear hook mount for the hitch for 13 bucks. 2 20ft straps and one 30 ft strap. the hitch cost me around 130 bucks or something. so far it has worked well.

fire extinguisher you can get at alot of places, i think even sears or home depot have them, i know ive seen them at target.

Back