• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WF Bi##ch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine fine... Lessons learned: longer mounting brackets for tow hooks, show up early.

...but I have ONE MORE gripe...

DiscoSteve's rig was out of the game WAY too early...

My only complaint was that the "yohn'd" award was spelled "yhon'd" :D

Well and that there was an award named after my stupidity :dunce:

Last edited:
Hey Aaron, sorry I missed your name on my "thank you" to my tail-gunners. Thanks for your help.

00XJ49 was late and ill prepared and it is all our fault. No amount of discussion will change his mind.

There were many noobs that prepared for this event months ahead of time. They seemed to find the "administration" of it all just fine.

BOB

No worries Bob! I know you were saving the best for last. :D To 00XJ49 and blacksheep, just show up little earlier next time and you'll be saved a bunch of confusion. I was running way late on friday. I thought I did a decent job of filling you in on where you needed to be and what you needed to do, I apologize if I didn't though. You both did great on the trail so I figured everything was good.

You got there at 10ish on Saturday? The drivers meeting was held I would guess around 1015...around 10 I walked up and down to all the rigs that were staging and told them that the drivers meeting was coming. People gathered in a large group and then the megaphone gave out information. People then left.

The tech stickers possibly fell off. The one on my baby jeep did not last very long with the weather on Saturday. I would imagine if a rig was teched on Friday it is possible the sticker fell off by Saturday.

The difference in the tow hook set ups with going down the frame farther is significant, as has been covered.

We can only do so much.

mac 'if you can take a little ribbing, you can hang with this group' gyvr

No worries Bob! I know you were saving the best for last. :D To 00XJ49 and blacksheep, just show up little earlier next time and you'll be saved a bunch of confusion. I was running way late on friday. I thought I did a decent job of filling you in on where you needed to be and what you needed to do, I apologize if I didn't though. You both did great on the trail so I figured everything was good.

Yeah like I said, the confusion was caused by my late arrival. You learn from experience and I'll show up much earlier next year. The only reason I bring it up is because I feel like it could be fairly common to any new person and that might help them on their first time out.

You did a good job of letting me know what I needed to do once we started. It was just very confusing at first. Especially when I went up the first hill, there were 3 different trails, and no other Jeeps insight. Being the first time, the adrenaline/nerves combined with confusion QUICKLY builds to frustration. I feel that by the first stop, I ended up getting all the information I needed and was good to go.

A lot was learned on my part. It will be a LOT less confusing for me next year because I will do a better job being prepared and ahead of schedule. But, you learn from your mistakes (as I did) and try to help others avoid making them.

You got there at 10ish on Saturday? The drivers meeting was held I would guess around 1015...around 10 I walked up and down to all the rigs that were staging and told them that the drivers meeting was coming. People gathered in a large group and then the megaphone gave out information. People then left.

The tech stickers possibly fell off. The one on my baby jeep did not last very long with the weather on Saturday. I would imagine if a rig was teched on Friday it is possible the sticker fell off by Saturday.

The difference in the tow hook set ups with going down the frame farther is significant, as has been covered.

No, we got to the check-in at 10 o'clock on Friday. By the time we checked in and got down to the lower lot it was around 10:15. We were told the driver's meeting was going on but needed inspected. We got inspected, inline, and were off.

The tow hook issue. If my tow hooks aren't installed properly, someone PLEASE let me know. For me this is NOT an issue of passing vs failing. It's an issue of keeping anything from getting pulled off my Jeep (thus costing more money). So please, let me know if I need to change something, I'm a newb.

Yeah like I said, the confusion was caused by my late arrival. You learn from experience and I'll show up much earlier next year. The only reason I bring it up is because I feel like it could be fairly common to any new person and that might help them on their first time out.

You did a good job of letting me know what I needed to do once we started. It was just very confusing at first. Especially when I went up the first hill, there were 3 different trails, and no other Jeeps insight. Being the first time, the adrenaline/nerves combined with confusion QUICKLY builds to frustration. I feel that by the first stop, I ended up getting all the information I needed and was good to go.

A lot was learned on my part. It will be a LOT less confusing for me next year because I will do a better job being prepared and ahead of schedule. But, you learn from your mistakes (as I did) and try to help others avoid making them.

No, we got to the check-in at 10 o'clock on Friday. By the time we checked in and got down to the lower lot it was around 10:15. We were told the driver's meeting was going on but needed inspected. We got inspected, inline, and were off.

The tow hook issue. If my tow hooks aren't installed properly, someone PLEASE let me know. For me this is NOT an issue of passing vs failing. It's an issue of keeping anything from getting pulled off my Jeep (thus costing more money). So please, let me know if I need to change something, I'm a newb.

Custom4x4fabrication.com
Ironrockoffroad.com

Both if those sell beefy tow hook brackets. :cheers:

so what happened on saturday?

mac 'MI was on the trail by then on friday' gyvr

Agree....he was awarded for that "error"

BTW - He should have asked.....anyone of us could have told him that was a BAD idea.

:D

Rev

the pamphlet i got didnt say ANYTHING about deep water.

Missed the driver's meeting on Friday - I was "late". And I didn't see a driver's meeting anywhere on Saturday.

I don't recall anyone telling Bob to go ahead - might have been outside the Jeep at that point.

And if only the lead and tail were supposed to pull out stuck vehicles, how come I was asked by a green hoodie to pull Xin off a high-side on Friday?
I know this was touched and the topic has pretty well dissolved by now, but I was the green hoodie that asked you to pull Xin off. It was a simple snatch and I made sure everything was in order. Xin actually made it over that high side the next day! Man that guy grew like no other in 24 hours!

Anyway, good to know who you are on the board! See you next year!

I believe Shin (spelling?) arrived late on the first day and was able to hook up w/ the green group.

I remember him, and I remember you two, Xin was there quite a bit earlier than you guys. I was the ugly guy sitting between the two pretty girls in the trailer. I have been involved in planning the last 7 or 8 winterfests, I think we have everything as well coordinated as possible. $#!t happens to change schedules and we just roll with the punches. The schedule was held to pretty well, we were open for registration before any one was down in the lower parking lot, the runs left at 10:30, just like the schedule called for. We can not schedule every little detail:
Enter the park at 9:00
Get wrist band at 9:05
Drive down to lower parking lot at 9:15
Enter registration trailer at 9:22
etc.....
I will be the first to admit we can co-ordinate better with the Badlands staff and next year that aspect will be addressed.
Every year, the line to get in the gate is past the campground entrance, next year you will know and get here earlier.

We thank you very much for attending and we are glad you had a great time. Remember this is a huge event we had 150 people for the dinner, it is all done by volunteers, who also pay the full price to attend the event. Thank you for your input, it is all dully noted and we promise to make it an even more enjoyable event next year!

All things considered, Winterfest went VERY well this year and as some individuals have voiced thier opinions on various matters, we as a committee and BOD will address them and work towards making Winterfest continue to be the foremost event in NAXJA, as well as the offroading community. I want to reitterate how great of a job the staff and BOD did getting this event put together. As mentioned earlier, this is all done voluntarily and there are countless hours put into planning and organizing this event. We can not, and will not, make everyone happy all the time, so as we grow with the event we will see changes made along the way and hopefully all for the better. In all reality there will always be a few minor hick-ups and a couple attendees that are unhappy with one thing or another, but that is life. I have received MANY PM's and texts/calls about how great things went this year and how pleased people were with the event and the organizers. We will continue to listen to the complaints/concerns as they come about, but this thread is beginging to repeat itself at this time. If you have a legit complaint/concern, please PM one of the members of the MWC BOD.

XJ&CHZ4ME-Presidet
Rev Den-Vice President
Fore Wheeler-Director
BOB-Recorder
Lawn Cher-Treasurer

Thank you to all who attended as well as who all helped out, without everyone of you this event would not have been the SUCCESS it was!

Thanks,
Cheeseman-OUT!

I remember him, and I remember you two, Xin was there quite a bit earlier than you guys. I was the ugly guy sitting between the two pretty girls in the trailer. I have been involved in planning the last 7 or 8 winterfests, I think we have everything as well coordinated as possible. $#!t happens to change schedules and we just roll with the punches. The schedule was held to pretty well, we were open for registration before any one was down in the lower parking lot, the runs left at 10:30, just like the schedule called for. We can not schedule every little detail:
Enter the park at 9:00
Get wrist band at 9:05
Drive down to lower parking lot at 9:15
Enter registration trailer at 9:22
etc.....
I will be the first to admit we can co-ordinate better with the Badlands staff and next year that aspect will be addressed.
Every year, the line to get in the gate is past the campground entrance, next year you will know and get here earlier.

We thank you very much for attending and we are glad you had a great time. Remember this is a huge event we had 150 people for the dinner, it is all done by volunteers, who also pay the full price to attend the event. Thank you for your input, it is all dully noted and we promise to make it an even more enjoyable event next year!

My mistake. After the second stop he caught up to the group so I assumed he arrived late. I guess he got disconnected from the group by taking a wrong trail or something. Again, my mistake.

I'm not saying everything should be on the schedule. But I believe (again, just my opinion) the important things should be on the schedule. If the drivers meeting was on the schedule, I would have known about it prior to the event (and got there a little earlier). Being a newb, I didn't know about it. Anyone who has been there will know about this. But adding it to the schedule will only help new people and not hinder anyone. I think a good schedule could look something like this:

9:00-10:00 Registration
10:00-10:15 Tech Inspection
10:15-10:25 Driver's Meeting
10:30-1:00 Trail Runs
1:00-2:00 Lunch
2:00-5:00 Trail Runs (pickup runs)
"Register in the main office at the Badlands. Then proceed down to the lower lot and find a volunteer in a bright green hoodie for tech inspection and further directions."

It lets everyone know what's happening and gives instructions to help the confused newb. Simply having "9 Registration" and "10:30 Trail Runs" told me that registration ran from 9-10:30. Obviously this isn't true, but this is all I knew because I was new to this. Like I said, you can take the advice or leave it. I'm simply offering helpful advice based of my experience.

The amount of time and effort to make this event happen is evident. That's just based on what I was able to observe. I guarentee there were even more hours spent that were not apparent. I appreciate all the work of everyone involved. It was a great event. If it's run the exact same way next year, it'll be another great event and I'll be there.

Noted.

This thread is now closed. Further discussion can be done via PM to you BOD members and will be forwarded on to the planning committe.

Thanks everyone for the input, this is what helps us with palnning for next year. :thumbup:

Cheeseman-OUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back