• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Good Event...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
So I guess it's about time to file my report on the event...

So I rolled on up there at about 11.00p on Thursday night, Brett set up his tent and I slept in the Jeep (was too lazy to deal with the tent, plus with most of the gear in the M416 it was REALLY easy). In the morning we got up and set up camp, emptied the 416, and put the necessary trail gear in the Jeep.

As we were doing this Brendon showed up to Serrano. I was periodically calling out on channel 4 on the radio to see if anybody was up there, didn't get any bites. I wasn't too concerned though as I've done this just about every year and nobody ever answers, I guess everybody doesn't monitor 4 like I do ;). Also while doing that I got a call from Tim saying he was running a bit late and would meet us at 2N04 and 38.

So we jump in, start our engines, and high tailed it out of Serrano (the usually 10 MPH long drive!). We got to the Ranger station to find one TJ in the parking lot, that TJ was a Waywego waiting for another member of his club for some John Bull maintenance. We waited around until about 9.15 and hit it. This was the lowest turnout of a NAXJA trail maintenance day ever, we had four rigs with seven people total.

Since we were so busy with the maintenance we didn't get many pictures in the process. The trail was in mostly good shape with the usual lopping going on and some drains we had to stack rocks in. There was a lot of trash near highway 38 with some plywood, general trash, and five tires (one of which was a 70 pound monster ancient BFG with wheel). The M416 came in real handy as we had that thing full of trash.

Trail Maintenance Pictures
Helen riding the rail:
IMG_0002.jpg

Stacking Rocks:
DSC05456.jpg

Loaded M416:
IMG_0003.jpg

John Bull Pictures, Friday
After the maintenance Bill and Brendon peeled off to Serrano while Tim and I high tailed it to John Bull trail where the Waywegos were working on the Eastern rock garden and Greg Hoffman was supervising, I had a few questions for Greg.

We talked to Greg then looked at the rock garden, it was in some fun shape, heres Tim and I going up and down:

P1010088.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010100.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

P1010104.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010109.jpg

And just for fun here's the M416 kinda flexed on 3N32

DSC05463.jpg

The rest of the Friday pictures can be found HERE.

On Saturday I lead the Holcomb Creek to John Bull run. After taking the long way 'round (I was thinking 2N13 would be faster than the highway... Mainly because when I run those roads by myself I tend to drive 'em fast ;))

After we finally go to Holcomb Creek the bigger guys ran though (just about everybody) and Lion, my father in his buddy's TJ (I wouldn't let him go through it with a welded 35!), and myself (although with Brett driving for the first time) came into Holcomb via Lower Larga Flat. It's still a USFS most difficult rated trail but the rock garden isn't as intense as true Holcomb.

Spotting Brett on Lower Larga
IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

The timing ended up perfect here as the three of us showed up at the junction of Lower Larga and Holcomb Creek at the same time as the main group so we just slipped into the middle of the group, then we were one again.

Coming down Holcomb Creek..
IMG_0084.jpg

After we finished Holcomb I told Kyung how to get to Upper Holcomb (3N32) so we could get back to 3N16 to run John Bull. There was some trouble there as the group got separated (the front half ended up a good deal ahead of the rear half) and there was confusing of who turned where. I know that trail well but was in the center of the group, hard to lead from there ;)

Next we went to the West side of John Bull and separated the group out again (I still wouldn't let my dad push that welded 35 too far ;)). This time it was just my dad and I who didn't do the harder stuff so we ended up just Jeeping around North of the Meadow (around 3N07 and Wilbur's grave) to kill a little time.

We ran into one guy (For some reason I can't remember your name for the life of me guy with 31's and a locker ;)) who informed us that the West side rock garden gate was in fun shape as well and was giving the group trouble. Santa ended up taking off since he was concerned about making the BBQ on time and *guy with 31's and a locker* did as well as he wasn't too sure he'd be adequately equipped. After talking to him my dad and I went over to the East Side of John Bull just in time for our group to start coming through (perfect timing again!).

Yeah, I parked creatively there... Mainly to be a smart ass and give Brett a harder time getting out of the Jeep :laugh3:
IMG_0087.jpg

After the whole group went through I led us down to Serrano and we arrived just in time for the BBQ. In all it was a great day.

The rest of Saturday can be found HERE.

Sunday ended up being a pretty inactive day for me. The initial plan was to head out to the Gold Mountain tree removal the forest service was doing but I ended up sleeping later than planned due to not sleeping well Saturday night for whatever reason... Anyway after we were running so late I decided to stick there until Bill got loaded up on the truck. Just afterward Tim called me and let me know that the tree issue was going well so I decided to just pack up my site and have a lazy Sunday.

After hanging out for awhile and slowly packing we finally got out of there. As I made the right turn onto 38 my Jeep quit, uh-oh! Ended up just being out of gas (before 35's and gears and stuff I could do a whole weekend up there on about half to three quarters of a tank... I'm still getting used to this game ;)). Anyway had my father bring me some gas (he was just about a mile ahead) and I was on my way.

Snapped this shot just for the hell've it...
IMG_0090.jpg

That's it. As usual it was a great event, a little colder than last year but nothing too bad really.

See you all next time out...

Sequoia

Great post, very thorough and detailed! Also love the pics, very nice job! I enjoyed myself to 11 on a 10 scale, I really did. In fact, when i got home today i tried to talk Girly Skwerly into going up to run some random fire road and geo-cache. I was given a look that scared the cats away. I guess I'll shoot for later in the week ;). Anyhow, great time and good folks up there, thanks for the post.

Looks and sounds like good times.

For me, no BOTW. No BB.

One dirty word I don't use too often.

Work.

:D

--ron

Back