• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Cargo Area and CO2 Tank Storage

AnzaJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Let me know what you think. I'm trying to come up with a more secure mounting system on the tire for the basket, but it is actually pretty secure and will work for now.
xj42908017.jpg

xj42908018.jpg

xj42908019.jpg

xj42908020.jpg

I can't tell how you have the bottle and or hose secured down?
In the case of an accident you can not assume that the basket will stay there. You should assume that it will be coming strait for the back of your head. If the bottle and anything else is secured by it or to it then obviously they are also projectiles.

My philosophy is that the cargo area needs to retain everything in the cargo area so that in the case of an accident nothing is able to move or danger any passengers.

Michael

oldradiostuff said:
How is the basket held up on the tire end? Is it just compression of those rods against the sidewall of the tire?
It compression using the spreader bars that come with those dog deviders; it is remarkably strong. I can hit it with a downward motion with my fist and it stays. http://www.autoworldaccessories.com/script/newcategorypage.asp?category_id=728#details But I'm sure with an ice chest on it, it would come down after the first speed bump I hit. Ultamatly I plan to span the tire with some angle iron and run a some all thread to the rim and crank it down.
2xtreme said:
I can't tell how you have the bottle and or hose secured down?
In the case of an accident you can not assume that the basket will stay there. You should assume that it will be coming strait for the back of your head. If the bottle and anything else is secured by it or to it then obviously they are also projectiles.

My philosophy is that the cargo area needs to retain everything in the cargo area so that in the case of an accident nothing is able to move or danger any passengers.

Michael
The CO2 bottle is securly fastened to the floor using this bracket http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/53177/377%20710/0/fire%20extinguisher/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=fire%20extinguisher&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=fire%20extinguisher&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=8&subdeptNum=155&classNum=157

I will be securing the basket more securly as noted above, and I will covering all items on the basket with a cargo net. The basket will be
primarily for soft items like sleeping bags and duffle bags.

Last edited:
AnzaJeep said:
The CO2 bottle is securly fastened to the floor using this bracket http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/53177/377%20710/0/fire%20extinguisher/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=fire%20extinguisher&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=fire%20extinguisher&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=8&subdeptNum=155&classNum=157

I will be securing the basket more securly as noted above, and I will covering all items on the basket with a cargo net. The basket will be
primarily for soft items like sleeping bags and duffle bags.

Perfect. I could tell clearly from the pic's.
Michael

Mosephus said:
I wouldn't be too worried about the disk popping on the bottle, but how hard is it to access the bottle?

Also in the event that the bottle does rupture, I would mount it as far away from myself and my passengers as possible. I'd much rather a window blowout than someone lose their hearing, get frostbite or suffocate. These are extremes of course.

Currently it only takes seconds to get to the tank (as it is really just a mock up, with zip ties hold the basket to the support bars). Ultamatly when I make somthing more substantial, it will take a little bit more to get to. I'd like to make it so the basket can be un clipped using linch pins and pivot point up front to allow easy access under the basket. However, the only reason now to pull the tank is when it runs out of gas; the coiled hose is long enough to reach all four corners of my jeep.

Patriot4x4 said:
not related, but that tundra in the 1st pic looks like it was photochopped in, wierd angle i guess :)
I noticed that when I posted it. I moved the truck to get it out of the way for the pictures, and somehow it made its way into most of them.

Those compression bars will fail instantly offroad. I used to use a ratcheting cargo bar to hold my Rubbermaid tote in place, and it would always work loose no matter how tight I had it. If you could hard mount it somehow, that would be a slick setup.

Where did you get the basket?

poorboy_616 said:
I'd be nervous about the CO2 bottle on a hot day with the windows closed.....

Other than that, looks good. You just gave me a couple ideas.....
the bottles have a safety valve that will blow if they get too over pressured. other than a loud hiss, there is nothing else that will happen (no broken glass or shrapnal). just a nice, controled steady release of co2. i think it goes without saying but if youre in the car when this happens you may want to get out of the car for a few minutes, or atleast roll down a window.

IllianaXJ said:
Those compression bars will fail instantly offroad. I used to use a ratcheting cargo bar to hold my Rubbermaid tote in place, and it would always work loose no matter how tight I had it. If you could hard mount it somehow, that would be a slick setup.quote]

We put on over 50 miles of trails, dunes and rocks yesterday and the thing did not budge; not even with gear on top and a couple of pretty bad rear end drops. Again, I'm not planning on keeping it like this forever, I will make it more secure, but I'm incredibly happy with how it worked. I was able to get all my recovery gear, ice chests, and a Rubbermaid with clothes for the family on the bottom and chairs, bags and other misc stuff on top of the rack. I was the happiest with the coiled hose holder. I was able to pop the top and pull the hose out (without any tangles), easily able to reach all four tires and then put the hose back without any problem.

The only problem from yesterday had was due to operator error
IMG_3909.jpg

IllianaXJ said:
Where did you get the basket?
Unfortunately I don't know where the rack came from; it came on an '85 Mitsubishi Montero I bought years ago. I can take some close-up shots and give some dimensions and maybe someone knows who makes it. It works great; I had a half dozen bungees holding various things above and below it. I even clipped my coffee cup to it when I was done drinking.

Back