• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommended Seats for Back Issues?

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
What seats can any of you recommend for those of use that have back issues where the seat needs to be more upright and not reclined like the stock xj seats are.
Any ideas?
I swa the post on the JC Whitney sale and was wondering what some of you think as to the back support being upright or not?

My friend picked up a wagoneer xj and it has seats that recline back, and tilt back, kind of like a rocking chair. They are VERY comfortable, and I have been snooping around junkyards looking for a pair of em even since i rode in it. Just an idea.

I have chronic back pain. I had 2 surgeries on it so far. I am finally get some of my pain to go away after the last fusion. I like the stock Sport seats. I have them setting as straight up as they will and they are pretty straight. However, my suspension is a different story, it is kind of rough. I do know that when other people get in my XJ they can't stand the seats, so they must sit pretty straight up. Also, I still wear a back brace, so that is helping me some. I tried some of those things you put behind your back and you sit on, those lumbar pillow things. They didn't work too well.

What model of XJ do you have?

You need the same or similar seats out of a 1991 Laredo... best damn seats I've ever had in a vehicle and I have lower back problems -- just avoiding the surgery.

The problem is the reclining/tilting frames are known for cracking and need to be reinforced. The revised OEM heavy duty driver side frame and lower seat cushions are still available from Mopar, the passenger side frame is discontinued. The electric frame rails/mounts are a bitch to find in good condition -- mine are new. After I get them in the right position I disconnect the power source to preserve the motor and hardware.

My front seats are completely restored now with new OEM parts and materials -- an expensive proposition. You may want to invest in a good aftermarket seat if you can't find the original components.

Good luck.

bchulett said:
You need the same or similar seats out of a 1991 Laredo... best damn seats I've ever had in a vehicle and I have lower back problems -- just avoiding the surgery.

The problem is the reclining/tilting frames are known for cracking and need to be reinforced. The revised OEM heavy duty driver side frame and lower seat cushions are still available from Mopar, the passenger side frame is discontinued. The electric frame rails/mounts are a bitch to find in good condition -- mine are new. After I get them in the right position I disconnect the power source to preserve the motor and hardware.

My front seats are completely restored now with new OEM parts and materials -- an expensive proposition. You may want to invest in a good aftermarket seat if you can't find the original components.

Good luck.

Hi bchulett;

I have a screwed up back also, along with other joint problems. I find the seats in my 89 Pioneer very comfortable on my back. That's why I am not getting rid of my high mile XJ. I don't know if they are the same as your 91 Laredo, but if they are, I'd love to know what parts and numbers you are referring to. I know my driver seat has broken parts in it and I want to do some restoration before the dealer discontinues the parts I may need. Can you give more details please?
Thanks

Maz said:
Hi bchulett;

I have a screwed up back also, along with other joint problems. I find the seats in my 89 Pioneer very comfortable on my back. That's why I am not getting rid of my high mile XJ. I don't know if they are the same as your 91 Laredo, but if they are, I'd love to know what parts and numbers you are referring to. I know my driver seat has broken parts in it and I want to do some restoration before the dealer discontinues the parts I may need. Can you give more details please?
Thanks

Long story short, I bought a new 2005 Land Cruiser and the seats were the worst I've ever owned, 45 min and I had to get out. Lucky enough it was a lemon and Toyota bought the POS back... so I'm dragging my XJ out of the garage to finish the restoration.

Give me a day or so and I'll dig out my receipts and post up the PNs... BTW, I have grey vinyl/cloth interior -- I found the OEM stuff, perfect match.

bchulett said:
Give me a day or so and I'll dig out my receipts and post up the PNs... BTW, I have grey vinyl/cloth interior -- I found the OEM stuff, perfect match.

That'll be fantastic. Thank you so much.
My seats are manual with blue cloth/vinyl covering.

I have a permanent back injury and if not for the lift height on my XJ i'd still be using my Corbeau Ultra SS with the lumbar pump option.
The sides ended up being to high, combined with the lift height and my back probs i switched over to 89 Laredo seats that have the 'rocking' motion that was mentioned above.
Basically a suspension seat with lot's of adjustment and maybe some heat with low entry sides is the way to go. good luck!:cheers:

So, I am wondering if you could fab an early 80's Mitsubishi Montero seat they used in those 2 door SUV's they made. They came standard with suspension seats.
Has anyone done this mod yet?

Maz said:
That'll be fantastic. Thank you so much.
My seats are manual with blue cloth/vinyl covering.

Maz,

Just got ambitious... here you go.

SEAT HARDWARE

Mopar --
PN 55195839 Driver Side Frame Assy (23108065) - List $524.70, Net $477.00
PN 55195850 Pad & Pan (23084004) - List $222.20, Net $202.00

The Pad & Pan part number is the same for driver and passenger frames. The replacement frame is really heavy duty, the frame mounts and weld joints are beefier than the circa 1991 version. Keep in mind the PNs are for a Laredo with electric seat rails.. not sure they'll mount up to a manual rail.

UPHOLSTERY

Lindsey and Hall, Inc.
Distributors & Wholesalers + Auto & Commercial Fabrics
940 North Durfee Avenue
South El Monte, CA
(800) 444-HALL

L&H had the closest match on the vinyl -- need to take a swatch in from your rear seats or other interior components to get exact match.

SMS Automotive Fabrics
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/default.htm

After looking all over the planet, I found that SMS buys New Old Stock from the big three and/or their suppliers. They were the only source I found that had the exact matching cloth -- not a big deal if you're re-doing the entire interior. However, if you're trying to match existing OEM fabric SMS is your best shot -- their vinyl wasn't as close as a match to my existing grey vinyl, probably due to various runs and dye lots over the years.

If you need anymore info let me know. I've had my seats out several times due to removing and installing new motor/seat rails over 17 years... although they've been discontinued, a new electric rail costs as much as the seat and pad put together.

At some point you need to ask yourself is it worth going the OEM route -- in my case the existing interior is almost pristine and I wanted an exact match with functional OEM electric seats -- plus I can't seem to part with my XJ.

The rest of my XJ will be done soon .. a very solid restored 1991.

:yelclap: Have you thought about putting in late model Mustang seats with lumbar and 7 way power? You can get a set from a 07' for around 400.00. I was told they would fit with minimal modification. They would be super comfortable and for the price?

sprngfldxj said:
What seats can any of you recommend for those of use that have back issues where the seat needs to be more upright and not reclined like the stock xj seats are.
Any ideas?
I swa the post on the JC Whitney sale and was wondering what some of you think as to the back support being upright or not?
beard suspension seats help me out hugely I love them and some shops will even custom fit them to your body for the best situation for your back.

Thank you for such detailed info. I sure appreciate it.

bchulett said:
Maz,

-- plus I can't seem to part with my XJ.

I can so relate. My wife often questions why I hang on to this old truck!!!

Back