• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fishing

Yes, Buck island has good fishing for browns that can get to 18 inches (I've caught one 19"). Also, the Rubicon river, as it winds around Rubicon springs has smaller (12") rainbows and some browns.

I think Richard and I are goingt o hike up to Rockbound Lake and Rubicon reservoir, which are about a 1 mile and 3 mile hike, respectively, from Buck Island Lake. Both are larger than Buck and should produce some fatty rainbows.

LIght tackle is best, 4 pound line on a spinning reel with small (1/16th and 1/8 oz) rooster tails work very well. Black and silver are a favourite of wifey.

I use my fly rod almost exclusively unless the wind really picks up. Elk hair caddis in 10 and 12 are really good in August, and dragonfly nymphs are also fairly deadly.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I think Richard and I are goingt o hike up to Rockbound Lake and Rubicon reservoir, which are about a 1 mile and 3 mile hike, respectively, from Buck Island Lake. Both are larger than Buck and should produce some fatty rainbows.

CRASH

Yeah, I plan to do a little hiking this year. I may or may not bring my pole.

I've also found that roosters are exceptionally good at catching American dippers. But that's mostly on the Middle fork Stanislaus.

My understanding is that the Rubicon offers some very good rainbow trout fishing opportunities, if one is willing to go off the beaten track. Or so I've heard from CDFG.

Just wanted to say something to break the silence..........

:)

CRASH said:
Yes, Buck island has good fishing for browns that can get to 18 inches (I've caught one 19"). Also, the Rubicon river, as it winds around Rubicon springs has smaller (12") rainbows and some browns.

LIght tackle is best, 4 pound line on a spinning reel with small (1/16th and 1/8 oz) rooster tails work very well. Black and silver are a favourite of wifey.

I use my fly rod almost exclusively unless the wind really picks up. Elk hair caddis in 10 and 12 are really good in August, and dragonfly nymphs are also fairly deadly.

CRASH
Sounds good I will probaly bring my flyrod along. I am some what of a newby with the flyrod so thanks for tips. Will we be able to pick up a license along the way? We will be ariving on sunday at the Ice House. I would love to get some fishing in while I am out there. :cheers:

Big Bear said:
Sounds good I will probaly bring my flyrod along. I am some what of a newby with the flyrod so thanks for tips. Will we be able to pick up a license along the way? We will be ariving on sunday at the Ice House. I would love to get some fishing in while I am out there. :cheers:

You can get a 2 dayt license or a seasonal at any longs or Walmart, or any place that sells bait or tackle.

I'll help along your newbie status with a flyrod.

CRASH

CRASH said:
You can get a 2 dayt license or a seasonal at any longs or Walmart, or any place that sells bait or tackle.

I'll help along your newbie status with a flyrod.

CRASH
Sounds great ! I really can't wait to go on this trip, I just wish I could make it for all three trails. Fresh trout and wine every night for dinner sounds good to me.:laugh3:

How's the fishing a regular bait-cast setup? Any recommendations on what to bring for bait? Any specific lures or color of Power Bait? Thanks.

-Mike

Big Jeep 101 said:
How's the fishing a regular bait-cast setup? Any recommendations on what to bring for bait? Any specific lures or color of Power Bait? Thanks.

-Mike
Well bait fishing for rainbows hear in Utah you would have the best luck with a box of night crawlers. But you will want to check the fishing reg's for that area in Cali. Some places do not allow any bait fishing. If that is the case a 1/8 oz jig on a utra light pole could be alot of fun. But if you really want to have fun. Go find your local flyfishing shop have them set you up with a begginers kit, which usually comes with a book for different knots and casting techneques, your pole, reel, line, leader, tippet, and some flys. Then go out in the middle of your street and start pacticing casting. There are also classes avalible in most areas. I hope to get in some classes before I get out there. :greensmok

You should be fine bait fishing in any of the lakes. Nightcrawlers usually work great. I don't know if the creeks are big enough to hold any real fish, but they may have barbless/artificial lure limitation.

Regs can be found here:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/index.html

Back