• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modded steering pump.

Evan03

NAXJA Forum User
So my pump is quitting offcourse.

This is from parts jeep. Drilled to 5/32
Will remove washer and stretch spring.

Anyone done this.

Good info here and on pirate on this mod.
f102dd87c96eb2cd2fd651675537a498.jpg
54cdf765531e222716b24ffc13f4e25c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The pump still bolted to my xj was set up for more pressure.

I made a socket.

Its spring was slightly longer it also didn't have the small washer.

I drilled passage to 5/32 and cleaned the screen.

It might be temporary but it now steers great again
d91f3cbc5a837d015f1d7b7ae860ea49.jpg
77919e6bd994f835185002d2bafca121.jpg
a3e555280b301114e6dde084be6e5a76.jpg

No. Theres old threads here and lots on pirate. Took Google digging to dredge them up.

Curious if an underdrive pulley would help

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Suposebly it does help theres mention of smaller pulleys on pirate but I didnt find any though I didnt put much time into it.

I did take the electric fan off the parts jeep and wired it into my jeeps factory wires. Supringly the dam thing turned itself on. It appears it may actually help cool the power steering pump.

Do all xjs have electric fans?

I doubt the early V-6 years had electric.

I don't know about the Renix years, but my guess is yes.

I am fairly certain all the H.O. years do.

Was kinda amazed it worked had to cut the harness out of the parts jeep and wired in to to unused wires on my jeep popped tge hood after a long climb and fan was running.

Nice I may try the pulley. Supringly my steering is revived after cleaning and mods

Yes Renix jeeps have an electric fan.

You took apart a power steering pump from your parts jeep to replace the one you have that is dyeing? Most people replace the power steering pump with one from a Grand Cherokee. There was a discussion about drilling out the fitting and apparently it is not advised as it can lead to cavitation. I think 5/32 is the exact size someone mentions as being okay to drill out to.

I havent replaced it. Took apart the pump out of my mock up jeep to learn. I guess I learned something.

Did the mods to the pump in my jeep and cleaned.
It makes a whine at 2500rpm and above but not bad I have drilled the port over the recommended size now. Maybe cavitation.

Not to shabby going from being almost unable to steer to light easy steering on the trail for free.

When this modded pump decides to go ill do the v8 grand pump. Probly take it apart first to see if its any different than these two pumps ive already taken apart. So far both the ones I've seen inside where set up for different pressure

This thing sits under that fitting it rides on a spring remove the washer or washers. Removing washers is supposed to put the pump at its max 1400 psi or so.

Theres a check ball in there dont lose it.
e7c48fe884affda36aab8b8a5503c30e.jpg

Im not sure. Also not sure whats different I think its just the 1450 psi pump all washer removed and a slightly bigger resivor. I kinda stopped researching there since my stock ones working again.

The v8 grand might have other internal mods.

I'd drill stocker to 5/32 remove washers strech inner spring to 2" and clean spring. Thats what revived my pump. It still gets hot but I went from not being able to steer to having good steering

Back