• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New carry gun

RedHeep

NAXJA #1499
NAXJA Member
Picked this up as a promotion present. Kimber Pro CDP II in .45 acp.

kimber2.JPG

kimber1.JPG

Headed over to the range to put some rounds through it on saturday morning, then I'll start carrying it.

They got the colors backwards!!!

P1070807.jpg

Nice gun :D

Break it in fully before you start carrying it. Kimberlies are retarded that way, then they work beautifully. ;)

Downsized 1911s make the baby Browning cry. :rattle:

Nice rig. :)

Now time for some Wilson mags and good ammo. :D:D:D

281936176_BTT3i-M-1.jpg

271266623_JSAXT-M-1.jpg

I picked up some kimber pro tac's yesterday at the local store, since I wanted more than one mag on the range tomorrow. We'll see how they work out.

I picked it up "like new" from the store, had a box of 100 put through it, but I'm still going to finish the break in recommended (450-500 rounds) before I start carrying. I figure by that time I'll be comfortable with it if I'm in a situation.

I loved my gold dots in my ruger, but haven't really read much about defense rounds in the 1911. You don't like the gold dots?

RedHeep said:
I loved my gold dots in my ruger, but haven't really read much about defense rounds in the 1911. You don't like the gold dots?

Look at your box to be sure...but this is why I dropped them a while back. The boxes I found were marked "Not for Law Enforcement Use" and CCI/Speer told us that it wasn't for carry because it was 'out of spec'. Screw that. I carry the Hornady TAP FPD now, but have successfully used Remington LE Golden Saber as well. I just couldn't find the Remington as easily as the Hornady the last time I went to pick up carry ammo, so there ya go. ;) Best suggestion is to find out what your local PD is using and carry that. This way you KNOW you've got documentation on ammunition that you're using, should you ever have to deploy it. Whatever you carry, leave a few in the box, tape that box up, write 'carry ammunition' on it, and store it in a safe place. You now how a control group in case someone starts looking at testing ballistics and lot characteristics. It could save your ass. ;) OH! Mark your mags, so that if you get a stoppage or other failure you can document when it happens. Number the mags!

http://greent.com/40Page/general/speer-reclass.htm

Speer "Reclassified" Ammo
Recently, Speer (formerly a division of Blount Sporting Equipment Group; now part of Alliant) has begun selling ammunition identified as "reclassified" into the commercial market. While this ammunition is mostly from their premium Gold Dot line, they have also sold some reclassified Lawman and Blazer ammunition, as well.

Speer considers this ammunition safe to shoot, but recommends against its use for personal defensive purposes in a duty weapon, concealed carry firearm, or home defense gun.

"The ammunition that has been reclassified somehow failed to meet a contract stipulation. It is safe to shoot. Most is likely suitable for defensive use, but it would depend on the exact problem. A large quantity fell out for poor nickel plating on the cases. This nickel plating would not compromise the use of the ammunition, but flaking could present functional problems. Inspection of the ammunition you have should be able to determine if there is any worry in that regard. Other lots were reclassified for other reasons. In general I feel it is best to use it for practice and to prove functioning in the gun and stay with ammunition that was not reclassified for actual carry." - Guy Neill, Blount Sporting Equipment Group

Thanks to Mike Orick for providing this information.

i have a pro carry and love it. i have never had a malfunction of any kind. it eats any ammo i've put through it. even with the crapy colt mags.

Kimbers rock :D For Kimber I would suggest the Ranger T newest (IIRC it's 4th) generation. They have the best ballistics in .45ACP.

Wilson Combat also is the best choice in mags :) When you get them though, make sure to get them with steel plates so that when you need to quickly dump an empty it'll drop out nice and smooth.

Just an update:

Had issues when I went to the range with the recoil spring. It just wouldn't slam the slide home and the round in the chamber after firing. I don't think the spring was worn out, the gun had no visible indications of being fired through the whole 500 round break in before I bought it.

I'm thinking this might be the reason it got traded in to the shop I bought it from, because someone didn't understand what it was doing.

So a quick order from Wolf for an XP recoil/firing pin spring package (a whopping 8 bucks) and I'm back in business. Put 100 rounds through it on sunday with no failures. The Kimber Pro Tac magazines I picked up are excellent and available local.

Finally received my tucker holster, very nice kydex IWB lined on the inside with leather to protect the finish.

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/sithky.html

Very nice, with the security and fit of kydex, but no worrying about screwing up your finish prematurely. Definately worth the 6 week wait.

RedHeep said:
Just an update:

Had issues when I went to the range with the recoil spring. It just wouldn't slam the slide home and the round in the chamber after firing. I don't think the spring was worn out, the gun had no visible indications of being fired through the whole 500 round break in before I bought it.

I'm thinking this might be the reason it got traded in to the shop I bought it from, because someone didn't understand what it was doing.

So a quick order from Wolf for an XP recoil/firing pin spring package (a whopping 8 bucks) and I'm back in business. Put 100 rounds through it on sunday with no failures.

It doesn't have one of those stupid poly buffers on the spring, does it? Those can cause all kinds of stinkin' problems like you describe...as well as not allow the slide to stay back when it's empty (or allow you to run the slide in emergency clearing drills). ;) Hopefully it's nailed down for you after the changes you made. :)

ECKSJAY said:
It doesn't have one of those stupid poly buffers on the spring, does it? Those can cause all kinds of stinkin' problems like you describe...as well as not allow the slide to stay back when it's empty (or allow you to run the slide in emergency clearing drills). ;) Hopefully it's nailed down for you after the changes you made. :)

No, it's a bull barrel with a full length guide rod. just the spring and the guide rod.

Definately took care of the problem. I've had no failures with the pro tac mags, I'm getting a feed problem with the cheap factory magazine, so I take it to the range, but I don't carry it.

Had it out last night with my dad and nate, shot some white box at 10 yards and was doing 3" groups, but all of them a little left (maybe an inch or so.)

Was considering taking it to the smith to have him work the front sight, but then I put a magazine of gold dots through it and keyholed them in a 1" group. :)

So I think I'll leave it alone and just chalk it up to cheap ammo.

ECKSJAY said:

I'm running a buffer on mine with a full length Fusion guide rod without any troubles, but it's not a kimber, it's a homebuilt. Maybe I'll take it out and see if it runs any better.

img7456wx7.jpg

MisterFubar said:
I'm running a buffer on mine with a full length Fusion guide rod without any troubles, but it's not a kimber, it's a homebuilt. Maybe I'll take it out and see if it runs any better.

img7456wx7.jpg

Get yourself a set of wolf springs, best 8 bucks I spent. You can feel the difference.

I've got Wolff springs in mine also along with Wilson skeleton hammer, mainspring housing, trigger, and grip safety. It needs extended ambi safety and I want to swap out the grip safety for a high clearance one and fit it instead of drop-in. Other than that it's a plain ol' 'GI' model (90s Edition, for those keeping track) Springfield. It *had* one of the recoil buffers in it with the guide the way JMB intended. ;) The buffer BARELY allowed me to run the slide and under hand power the shells would BARELY fly out of the chamber. Shooting it made the empties flip up and back, usually landing on my shoulder or ball cap. Screw it, once the buffer came out the thing flips cases about 6' to the right and slide runs with no issues. :peace:

Wolff springs in the Glocks and shotguns, too. Love them in those guns as well.

Back