• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What rubber?

What tires should I get?

• Get the Q78

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Get the Trxus MT

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Wait and run the bald 35" MT/Rs that I have and hate

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Sell the Jeep and hold the porch down with Tweeder

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dustin_Z

NAXJA Forum User
I have a line on some new tires. I am looking at Q78 TSLs and at 35" Trxus MTs

I run mostly street, but I want a tire that will work good at the Superlift Off Road Park and in mud. I'm worried about good tread life and also about weak sidewalls.

I will be buying a new set of rubber Friday afternoon.

Any input? Cost differance is only $40 between the two sets.

MOD: Can you make this an open poll and make multiple choices, please?

I had bias ply Baja Claws by Mickey Thompson. They wore down WAY too fast. Plus they are heavier that radials. Go with the Radials, much better wearing better gas mileage, you'll be happier,

I'd suggest you go with the Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs. VERY good all around tire.
I've had no complaintso far and the tread is lasting.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED my biased MT baja claws both for looks and tire performance, but the weight and the thick lugs, really hold you back on the street, Not to mention the fact that biased tires heat up and the rubber wears really fast on them. If I ever have the money for a whole new set of tires I'll probly try out the Radial Baja Claws.

BUT:
For your poll, go with the TRXS. Radials are better for a mostly highway rig.

He currently has MT/R's and is not a fan... If you didn't notice that option in the poll

For me though I would probably look into the radial IROK's I have pretty good things on those for on the road and off, if that is one of the options you through your hook up.

But with those choices I have also heard a lot of good things about the trxus MT, I would prolly look that direction. And if you then insist you can sell the Jeep.... but I know you man, if you sell this you will regret it, and it wont be long before you buy something to replace it :rolleyes:... I most recently recall an F-150, a ranger, and a B II that darkened your driveway for a spell

Last edited:
wow, I didn't see the "and hate" line. ooops.

You don't like em? Why? I'm running 33s and have nothing but good things to report. What happened?

I am currently running 35" MT/Rs. The reasons I don't care for them are these:

1. Off road traction is marginal. They seem to hold ok new, but not after 50% tread mark is reached.

2. Tread life is ok...wear too fast for what I think a radial should. I am a nazi about tire pressure and balancing them.

3. Wet traction SUCKS

4. Even worse in the mud than in the wet. I don't run hardly any mud, but I want my Jeep to be an all around getup.

5. Not related to the MT/R Line at all. More related to my Jeep, but the 35" tire carcass is being slightly cut by my rear fenders when articulating. My fenders are already up to the seem, and have been rewelded in a few spots

6. Lots of road noise for a tire that performs (in my book) right along side a BFG A/T

NiteKrawler: I was looking at the set of LTBs you let me borrow, but they only offer a 10.50 in the 34" flavor. They are considerably cheaper though at $550 shipped to my door versus nearly $800 for the others. I thought the Jeep was too tippy, but I'm not sure. I was pretty scared as it was my first time out after my flop. What did you think?

The 35s (nearly worn to 34s) were contacting my rear fenders on full compression. To save tire life I decided 34s would be safest.

Back