• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Off Road?

junglejuice

NAXJA Forum User
G'day guys Iam getting ready to fit a SYE to my Xj and was looking to purchase the yoke that I require so I can use my rebuilt spare front drive shaft in the rear.
What I want to know is what is this mob like to deal with? Are they reputable? We can't buy these yokes here in Australia....

Cheers, Junglejuice

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...e=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_HNT&Category_Code=UP

If that's what you're talking about I would get a full heavy duty SYE kit instead of that yoke mod if you already have a spare drive shaft. For $200 you can get a advanced adapters SYE. Unless IRO is gonna just sell you the yoke.

I have never bought from IRO but in a few weeks I will be going with thier long arm up grade from what I can tell on here their coustmer service is the best.

Fisrtly the postage would be extremely expensive to Australia.
Iron Rock will sell me just the yoke which means the postage is much more reasonable and will mate up with my spare shaft....

They seem to be a newer company, but they have gained a good reputation around here in the last few months

Iron Rock Off Road is across town from me. I have dealt with them. Their products are very good quality and their customer service is excellent. They can and often do sell and ship parts overseas.

They will sell you the yoke in this kit (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...e=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_HNT&Category_Code=UP ) separately and you can use this yoke and a stock XJ front drive shaft for your rear SYE. I have the RE Hack and Tap and have installed the IRO Hack and Tap on a friends XJ. We both use a stock front XJ driveshaft. Both brands of SYE work great and have had no issues.

they are an aftermarket leader in suspension parts with Grand cherokees.
and i have had nothing but good luck with them!

never heard anything bad about them. I was going to get their SYE kit but ended up buying the parts on my own instead. Still need to install it...

Heavy duty stuff. I am ordering their track bar and tie rod next week. The hack n tap kit they have( i assume this is what you are talking about) seems to be a good deal. There are a couple WJ's in town running their Iron Y kit and they looks beefy too.

The whole using the front shaft for the rear after a SYE..... What was the first year XJ you could do that with? From my understanding you can not do this with earlyer XJ's. Does anyone know the the XJ years this mod will work with?

The guys at IRO are top notch. I have thier (1st gen) long arms on my '99 and they work great.

As far as customer service, they're great. They answer thier phone when it rings, and will bend over backwards to get you taken care of.

The whole using the front shaft for the rear after a SYE..... What was the first year XJ you could do that with? From my understanding you can not do this with earlyer XJ's. Does anyone know the the XJ years this mod will work with?
that is false. it works with all of them, you just have to have the right length driveshaft.

You need to have a AW4 transmission and a Dana 44 or Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. If you have have that transmission and either of those axles you're good to go.

Coastie is correct. Unless the XJ you are installing the front DS in (as a rear DS) is a manual, in which case you want a V8 auto ZJ front driveshaft. If you have a lot of lift and a manual you may want an I6 ZJ front driveshaft as it is slightly over 2" longer, but I'm not sure - check that info yourself.

Lengths for ZJ front driveshafts, from Dana-Spicer catalog (if anyone has a copy of the Dana-Spicer rear driveshaft catalog, I would be much obliged! I only have the front DS catalog):

96 w/ 4.0 or 2.5, Manual & 231 TC: 28.02"
92.5-95 w/ 4.0 Manual & 231 TC: 28.02"
96.5-97 w/ 2.5 Manual & 231 TC: 29.02"
96-98 w/ 5.2/5.9 Auto & 249 TC: 29.6"
93-95.5 w/ 4.0 Auto & 231 or 242 or 249 TC: 30.53"
92.5-93 w/ 4.0 AW4 & 231/242/249 TC: 30.53"
96.5-97 w/ 4.0 Auto & 249 TC: 31.53"
97-98 w/ 4.0 Auto & 242 TC: 31.75"
96 w/ 4.0 Manual & 242 TC: 31.77"
93-95.5 w/ 5.2 Auto & 231 or 249 TC: 32.87"

These are ordered from shortest to longest for convenience... if you can fill in these blanks with measurements from junkers or something, maybe we should make a FAQ or sticky about it or something with all the ZJ front driveshaft lengths in one place:

96.5-97 w/ 5.2 Auto & 249 TC: ???
95.5-96 w/ 4.0 Auto & 249 TC: ???
96 w/ 5.2 Auto & 249 TC: ???
95.5-96 w/ 4.0 Auto & 249 TC: ???
95.5 w/ 5.2 Auto & 249 TC: ???

ok so let me see if I got this right. Since I have a 89 XJ with the 30 up front and 35 in the back I'm not able to use a front driveshaft as a rear with a hack n tap???

ok so let me see if I got this right. Since I have a 89 XJ with the 30 up front and 35 in the back I'm not able to use a front driveshaft as a rear with a hack n tap???
i dont see why not? depends on length. measure the distance between the yokes and then measure the front shaft

a 35 has a pinion length about 1" shorter than a 44 or 8.25 from what I recall, so you might need a different driveshaft about an inch longer than what everyone else uses, not sure though.

What won't work is JB SYE, (it's about 1+" shorter then the others) and a front XJ DS at 30.66" long. Maybe 1/2" MAX out travel remaining. It sounded like a great idea. Front to rear and always have a spare with you. Maybe a front DS, driving slowly, not very far and avoiding speed bumps, but that's it. We are in the boonies and no other longer stock front DSs around here. The Tom Wood's DS will be here next WED.

Back