• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chevy big block mods

REDXJ4FUN

NAXJA Forum User
Ok its time to wake up my new tow rig. Its a 89 1ton with a tbi big block. So far I've put a jacobs system on it alpng with a K@N and a 3in cat and muffler. I just ordered a TB spacer and injector spacer. I'm proble going to redo the airfilter housing with a biger filter and it will have hearers soon since one of the cast manifolds is cracked. I've been looking for any sites online that might cover some of the little mods that are cheap but effective like tps and map sensor mods. Basicaly I don't want to reinvent the wheel hear I just want a good soild motor that can chug down the roadwith 10 tons behind it with out having to keep a tanker behind me to keep me from stopping everyother exit.

hypertech sells a power bowl that replaces the 1" ring on top of the t/b were the air cleaner sits down on it. if you take the air cleaner offyou will see how the ring shrouds the back of the injectors. put this bowl on and it gives you 360' of airflow. they claim a honest 12-hp. i sell them for about $40.00, stick with the factory iar cleaner set up, but check to see if your tube that goes to the fender has a air silencer in it. if it doe's they have a straight through tube w/ no muffler in it. also were the tube goe's
into the fender check to see if yours necks down from 3 inch to about 2 inches. if so cut the restriction out.
a hypertech thermomaster chip will help. put a k&n in the stock housing. no tps or map mods for a chevy. the edelbrock headers are nice (s.s.), so are the gibson & jba.
http://www.hypertech-inc.com/powercharger.html

I for go to mention that i alsorotated the factory air cleaner so that the the in let is on the driverside and I added some 4in dryer duck from it that goes down to under the front bumper. When i saw where the factory inatake was in the front end I couldn't belive they expected a big bock to breath trough that little inlet. I looked at the power bowl and i lke the idea but it only lists the 5.7 not the 7.4 but i guess there proble the same.I also found a place that sells chips for it. they say its a factory chip from the 454 SS and is worth 20hp but i'm not to sure about it. It seems every chip I've seem requiers that you use preimium fuel and lets face it that will get pricey. Since i work in a fab shop I'm thinking of makeing a new air box and ading a cowlinduction set up to it using a bigger amsoil filter I have from the 99 cummins dodge I had.

A different cam grind (RV) and lifters to wake that BBC up...especially with the ignition, intake & exhaust upgrades. When I did that (depending on how many miles) I'd also pop for a fresh timing chain/gears, water pump, oil pump...reliability mods.

Might call Doug Herbert down in Cherryville NC...he has all sorts of cams for BBCs

Back