• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 W/manual Tranny GRINDS in Reverse.

Bifilar31

NAXJA Forum User
Description:
Every time I shift into reverse(immediatly after coming from forward gear, to a stop, then to reverse) the Gear grinds. It does not do it for instance, if I just started the jeep and need to reverse out of a parking spot. It is never a constant type of grinding. Sometimes it is very light and immediatly goes into reverse. Other times it is grinding really hard and slows down as soon as I try to throw it into reverse.

This is my first vehicle where I have messed with the clutch. To me it sounds like something is not disengaging all the way, but then why does it not do it for first gear? I thought it might be the throw out bearing going bad. Also because it was starting to get difficult to push it into first gear. So I needed to change out the clutch anyways. Last week I changed out my whole clutch assembly, along with the throw out bearing. It is still doing the exact same thing for the reverse. As for gears 1-5, everything is golden.

ANYONE HAVE A CLUE WHAT IT MIGHT BE???? :confused:

I appreciate any help on this!! If you need any further descriptions or info on anything, just let me know. This is my daily driver so I am hoping it is nothing major. THANKS!!:peace:

reverse is not a sychronized gear and you must wait a few seconds before putting it into reverse when coming out of first gear. you must wait until the gears/input shaft in the tranny comes to a stop.

Thats the thing, I do wait a few seconds before trying to shift back into reverse. I tried having the pedal pushed in anywhere from 10-30 seconds and it still grinds. It shoudnt take that long, right? Today I also noted that even from a cold start up, trying to get down into reverse(even with the pedal all the way to the floor) it was a little bit tough. I had to let off the brake and let it roll a few inches to get it in. This is my first jeep, so I am not sure if these things are common.

Last edited:
Its cause reverse isn't syncronezed. Wait for a second after shifting out of a foreward gear, pump the clutch, and put it in. Rolling a few inches will also help. Its normal, Don't worry 'bout it.

Back