• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift recommendations

jscusmcvet

NAXJA Forum User
I am just starting a build on my 2001 xj. I have been scouring the web for 3" lifts. I have looked into 2 budget minded options, Rusty's and Rough Country and 2 more expensive options (in the 3" range), Rancho and DPGoffroad.

I'd like to go with full spring packs rather than add a leafs, blocks, etc...

I will have a heavier front bumper and a winch and a rear bumper with tire carrier. I have a set of currie LCA's left over from a tj build that I will be using on this as well.

I am open to recommendations from other brands as well or any information/experience that can be shared regarding these companies.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Piecing together a lift may be your best bet... look in the classifieds here, on CL, eBay etc. For a 2001 you should be looking at a SYE as well. More often than not going over 2" on 97+ XJ's you get some vibes.

By piecing it together you can get the best parts and better deals. The shocks that come in those kits are often times are mediocre. If this is going to be a DD/weekend warrior, getting some Bilstein shocks would be good to help give a smoother ride.

For awhile I was set on getting either a Rubicon Express or Rough Country lift, but after reading NAXJA and various threads on lifts, I've decided I would rather piece together a kit and spend that extra $$ on comfort. My Jeep is more of a DD/weekender as opposed to playing in rock gardens and all that stuff, so ride quality is important to me.

As ehall mentioned, OME is a great option, lots of great feedback about their product. A lot of people dislike Rancho products...

I'd suggest making a "master" list of everything you want to do to your Jeep and what you want to do with it. That way you're only having to buy parts once instead of lifting 3", 31" tires and then saying " wait a minute, I want to go taller and bigger tires"...

Love my Old man Emu / JKS stuff

I got DPG Offroad 4" super ultimate hybrid kit and
because I was doing bumper and winch at same time as lift he had me figure out what weight I was adding in front and changed the springs I was getting up front
I liked that kind of attention to quality that Dirk had

I'm at 31's and am very happy. (will probably trim for 33's eventually)

lifts about 2 years old and rides great
(i did add a ome steering stab and jks adj. Bumps in rear)

btw while late models do have a rep for getting driveline vibes.. Mines an 01 aw4 np231. And I did not have vibes at all.
about a year after my lift I had the old 230, miles u joints go bad and I did a sye/ Cv shaft to get better angles and so if my shaft ever broke the yoke couldn't slip out and leak my fluid . (thats a thing right?)

Last edited:
I agree 100% OutkastBoss. I run the 3" OME kit that I got from DPG and its by far the best put together kit I've seen. I DD my 2000 on a set of 31's and it still rides better than it did stock.

I also went with the OME steering stabilizer which is not part of the kit. I'm still using the stock rear bump stops and have had no issues yet. I would consider adding extended braided brake lines all the way around as my rear is real close to being maxed out. If you have and plan to keep the rear swaybar the U-bolts in the kit need to be trimmed down just a bit to clear the endlinks at full droop.

I got the 3" BDS kit, lifetime warrantee definitely appeals to me especially due to the nature of what I plan on doing with it. But it isn't exactly budget minded with the full leafs I think it topped a grand.

Go for the junkyard, it's practically free

Great info and following my own thinking. I don't mind waiting as I collect some other parts, but I frankensteined one of my last builds and this time around plan to use a kit engineered by someone better than me! Right now I am leaning heavily towards the DPG kit of some height, mostly because of the good things I have heard for years about Dirk and his willingness to help get you set up right.

I am picking up tires this weekend (used but almost new) and a 8.25 with locker and 4.10's next weekend that will eventually find it's way into the jeep... that makes me just a little bit excited :)

John

Picked up 4 33x10.50 BFG MT's today. I will be going with the 3" and trimming as I mentioned. Will try to make a decision on lift tomorrow and order. Thanks for your help.

John

Back