• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 30 front axle vac-disco swap to NON-vac-disco axle

dbxtr3

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 2 door base XJ with vacuum disconnect front DANA30 front axle to seems to be working fine but. I have a 1989 4 door limited parts Jeep that has a DANA30 non vacuum front axle. Can I swap out my complete front diff and axle assemble for the non vacuum disconnect the front assemble?

What other work needs to be done?

Is it possible to just swap the 2 piece axle out in place of the 1 piece axle and make a vacuum motor block off plate?

Is this a worth while upgrade?

i have a 88 that i swaped a 99 dana 30 into it and it was easy what you have to do it unconnect the vacuum cable and take the rubber part that goes to the metal lines under the jeep and put it back on and plug the holes. if you do not plug the holes then the jeep will run like crap. i would swap a hole new axle instead of putting a one peice shaft in it will work better.

1. Yes, but check the ratio and make sure it is the same or you will have to swap carriers.

2. Block off the vacuum lines. You won't have a 4wd light anymore, but no biggie.

3. Yes.

4. Maybe.

Pro: Stronger right side axle, no bad vacuum lines or vacuum motor stealing 4wd just when you need it most.

Con: If you put an auto-locker like the Aussie or a power-trax you will have to live with the driving habits of the locker all the time.

I chose to replace the vacuum motor with a Posi-Lok cable, and I run an Aussie in the D30. Don't want the locker, don't engage the front end. Also, another Pro on the D30 CAD is they are cheaper, and lots of people have extra shafts laying around that they no longer need. :D

IMHO, I would just swap in the 1 piece axle and block off the vacuum plate. This way you know you will have the same gear ratio. the only issue you MAY run into is that the unit bearing or hub assembly may be a little different on the non disco axle. In that case use the hub assembly that came off the non disco axle.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Back