• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a D 44

Sumo2014

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone!
I’m new to the forum and new to jeeping. I bought a 2001 Jeep XJ about a year ago. Did a rear drum inspection and they are tore up! bunch of sand got into the drum. XJ brakes are not anything to write home about. So looking to upgrade to disc brakes for the fact of easy maintenance. But when I bought the jeep I was told that the rear is a D 44. I don’t know much about the D 44 other than it’s a beefier rear axle. Is there only one kind of D 44? are there different kinds? that are something that I should be looking for To determine what kind of D 44 I have? Sorry for so many dumb questions I just don’t know where to start.
Are there any bolt on kit for disc brakes that don’t cost an arm and a leg and that don’t require a lot of modification trying to find something that not overly complex. Kind of lost here. But any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your Jeep is an XJ, and not a Grand Cherokee ZJ, then the rear axle assembly is probably the one and only, Dana 44. Quadratec has a nice write up here https://www.quadratec.com/jeep-factory-axle-identification-chart. You can also check the tag (if it is still there) that is bolted to the cover. Check the "smart number" against information posted in one of the many MOPAR parts manuals posted on-line.

But I thought that MOPAR wasn't isntalling the Dana 44 on 2001s. That may just be a wive's tale. Also, it is possible that someone installed the 44 post production.

I am not a Dana 44 disk brake expert, but I did do the Dana 44 disk brake swap on my XJ. Two routes that I know of. 1) Buy a fancy kit. That is will be very expensive. +/- $500. 2) Accomplish the same via acquiring parts from the bone yards following one of the *many* guides posted on-line.

Best of luck.

Thank For the link now I have a place to start. A fancy kit is not in the budget unfortunately. I will keep looking and all the posts that I can find and start trying to piece together a list of parts that I will need. Thank you again

Unless someone added a D44 you have a 8.25. Use the axle identification chart, it's pretty easy to tell. Worst case take a pic and ask on here.

You can always do a KJ disc brake upgrade. Cheap, and fairly easy.

Take a pic of the pumpkin, I highly doubt you have a D44.

Is the center a circle or not?

cirlce w flat spot on bottom: C8.25
circe w no flat spot Dana 35
weird diamond shape, 44

Well I am having some difficulty trying to figure out how to post a picture of my rear axle. It is not a circle. It is a weird diamond shape as one of the members described.

PM me a jpg copy and I'll post it.

190824003408463xYRLQE_t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back