• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thinking about moving from XJ to Commander

gray_penguin

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking about getting a commander. Is there a production year sweet spot in the commanders?

If you are looking for a Hemi, go with a 10 or 11. They had valve casting issues up to (maybe into) the 09 model year. My 06 is on it's second engine - 135000 miles when it blew up.

The '09 and up have a better stereo also - with the touch screen and the AUX output and the GPS that doesn't require a physical disc that goes into the unit.

The Hemi is thirsty. My '06 gets between 12 and 12.5 on average driving around town. It only has a 17 gallon tank. I expect to fill it every 200 miles. For pure interstate driving I can expect 13.8-14.5 mpg. Towing, the 5.7, I believe, is the only one rated for 7,000 lbs. But with a load behind it, expect 8-9 mpg.

However, it is one of the most comfortable trucks I've ever had. Lots of visibility and head room (I'm 6'6"). It is actually shorter, narrower, and lighter than the current WKII models.

Besides the size of the fuel tank, the economy of the 5.7, and the casting of my engine, the only real complaint I have is that there are no drip rails so when you open the door in the rain, the door and your arm get soaked. I know, pretty weak argument.

I'm actually thinking about selling mine to get something more fuel efficient, but I need something that will tow my XJ, and there is something cool about a Jeep towing a Jeep to the trailhead.

Thanks for the reply! I don't plan to tow anything, was going to try to find one with the V6.

Can you fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back with both back rows of seats down?

From what I could find online, it looks like the 2010 has the least issues.

I've got a 4.7L with Auto.
No engine issues.

I has some issues with the front calipers sticking (see thread). Now have that solved.

The Shift Motor went out and had to be replaced. I replaced it but still needed to go to the dealer to get the 4WD TCU reset.

The front DS went bad (also see thread).

The rear brake cables died on me. The OE had some monkey work on the rear brakes and they didn't attach the cable right on one side. The Cables are self adjusting, so the ends eventually reached the cable armor, and broke off the ends. - Still need to fix that, but it means new cables and removing seats to reach the cable end (inside).

Every once and again, the trans hunts. I am of the opinion that it is a bad TPS.

The paint is absolute crap. Hairline fractures everywhere and I have repainted the roof due to extended surface rust.

Other than those issues, I like the truck.
It tows the 19ft Fiberglass boat with no issue.
It is my "Go To" long distance vehicle and has taken me on 4K Miles vacations without issue.
The Ergonomics are right for my 6ft frame, with tons of headroom.
It handles well and I have taken it autocrossing a couple of times for the fun of it (no cones!). There is tons of "Road Presence", you won't have issues with cross winds.
The oil filter change is a welcome change and they even included a little chute for the oil to drain out of the filter hole so it doesn't get all over the cross member.

Downsides:
Gas mileage 14 in town, 20 at 55, 17 at 70 (it IS a brick).
No full sheet of plywood (almost though), BUT I did haul all my wood fence materials in the back over a few trips. It didn't even notice they were back there.
6cyl? No. This is a really heavy vehicle. That I am aware of, the 4.7L is the smallest engine you'll get. They have a strange exhaust note, but that's normal.

Back