NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 15th, 2019, 11:34
NAXJA Forum User

AA NP242J SYE kit yoke extension length?

I just ordered an Advanced Adapters SYE kit for the NP242j in my 1991 4L Auto XJ with 3 inch OME lift. I'm trying to get an idea of the drive shaft I'm going to need without ordering a custom one if I can avoid it.

I have heard that often people can use a ZJ with auto and np242 front drive shaft. I'm hoping this will be the case for me or even better if I can use an XJ with auto front drive shaft as I already have one extra of those.

I know the length is going to vary from Jeep to Jeep with various lifts and other differences. But if anyone can tell me the length of the AA NP242 SYE kit shaft and fixed yoke that extends from the transfer case body I can use the TC housing as a constant measuring point to get and idea of the driveshaft length I will need for my Jeep.

Thanks
Old July 15th, 2019, 19:06
NAXJA Member

Re: AA NP242J SYE kit yoke extension length?

My notes the AA SYE is about 1" shorter than my old hack-n-tap setup

I switched to a WJ shaft after I installed mine. They are 32" long. I have a couple here if you can't find one locally.
Old July 16th, 2019, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks ehall, That's just what I was wondering. I'll let you know if I can't source one locally.
Old July 16th, 2019, 12:36
NAXJA Forum User

Just order one from tom woods. Shows u how to measure on there website. Same price as everyone else but better quality. You will have by friday if u order today
Old July 17th, 2019, 07:13
NAXJA Forum User

Buying or having a custom drive shaft from Adams or Tom Woods or the like would be my last resort. I very much prefer the ability to recycle a front drive shaft so that it is both cheep and easy to source from local yards or individuals parting out their Jeeps. Thanks for the input though.
Old July 17th, 2019, 07:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowex275 View Post
Buying or having a custom drive shaft from Adams or Tom Woods or the like would be my last resort. I very much prefer the ability to recycle a front drive shaft so that it is both cheep and easy to source from local yards or individuals parting out their Jeeps. Thanks for the input though.
But, they are a much weaker shaft for a permanent rear shaft.
Old July 17th, 2019, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Well that's just nonsense. I would take a new shaft over a junkyard shaft any day.
Old July 17th, 2019, 14:34
NAXJA Member

Quote:
If you end up trying to use a WJ shaft, they're neither cheap nor readily available. Most WJs use non u-joint shafts and the few that do are either already gone or got bent when the loader moved the Jeep around the junkyard.

I used one after I stretched the front on my XJ and when it started getting some play in it because it wasn't really the right length, I just bought new shafts from Adams and don't worry about it anymore. Took me way too long to find the first one, wasn't going to bother trying to find another.

Kept the WJ shaft as a last resort trail spare, so I guess it's worth having but I wish I'd just started with custom driveshafts.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 07:58
NAXJA Forum User

AA NP242J SYE kit yoke extension length?

Just following up here on my original post incase anyone else is looking for this information down the road and finds this thread. The Advanced Adapters NP242 SYE kit extends about 7 1/4 inches from the t-case body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 26th, 2019, 01:51
NAXJA Forum User

Go to this page for drive shaft lengths
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1118885