• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best over-the-knuckle steering

bontzrf

NAXJA Forum User
I have used the factory steering long enough and I am ready to get a better steering set-up. I currently have about 10" of lift on my XJ, and I wanted to know if anyone had found an over-the-knuckle steering that was superior, or for that matter any other type of steering legal on the road that works good. I have been looking at the Rusty's Offroad kit which looks pretty nice but wanted to know if there was better out there, and where? Thanks!

I was running about 9" of lift on my XJ. Before I uprgraded to D60's, I was using the Terra Flex hi-steer knuckle and links. The Aluminum links were okay and I never had a problem with them, but if I was consistently running serious rock, I'd change them out for some DOM tubes. The geometry worked great on and off road. I'd loved it, especially when comparing it to the Rock Krawler steering I had previously. The Terra Flex system uses TRE's too.

JCR or ACRO 1 ton steering.

With OTK, you'll more and likely have to loose your sway bar ends on the axle, and possibly have to do a track bar relocation bracket on the axle as well. JKS sells the track bar bracket.

Thanks!!! I talked to the guy at JCR and he said that you will need to grind away at the coil buckets pretty much until you reach the coil which is no big deal. In comparison to the Rusty's more or less bolt on kit would this JCR steering be a stronger set-up? I just figured if they were about the same might as well go with the one you have to do less work to.

Any OTK kit will require swaybar link relocation or removal if you it's just trail rig and because of the new draglink location/angle if you don't relocate the track bar to match you will have driveablity issues. I have the JCR OTK kit on mine and it's not so fun on the road, most people got DW right off the bat and after that's dealt with you still have wandering and steering play to deal with, works great offroad though. Currie HD seems to be the best setup out there, if you flip the drivers side TRE it will be the same height.

I have used the factory steering long enough and I am ready to get a better steering set-up. I currently have about 10" of lift on my XJ, and I wanted to know if anyone had found an over-the-knuckle steering that was superior, or for that matter any other type of steering legal on the road that works good. I have been looking at the Rusty's Offroad kit which looks pretty nice but wanted to know if there was better out there, and where? Thanks!

I was running about 9" of lift on my XJ. Before I uprgraded to D60's, I was using the Terra Flex hi-steer knuckle and links. The Aluminum links were okay and I never had a problem with them, but if I was consistently running serious rock, I'd change them out for some DOM tubes. The geometry worked great on and off road. I'd loved it, especially when comparing it to the Rock Krawler steering I had previously. The Terra Flex system uses TRE's too.

how did yall run that much lift on d30s? did you cut and rotate the knuckles?

Do the WJ knuckles use the stock steering design (inverted y) but just move it all up?

has anybody had any experience with the U-Turn Steering?

U-turn,WJ,RRO,and Tera-flex are all "basically" the same "as in design".

Back