• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project XJ WUS

Renegade0401

NAXJA Forum User
I've been a CJ guy for the last 10 Years. Started with a '72 Renegade, then moved on to a 69 Kaiser and just sold but 67 Nissan Patrol (ALL CJ Guts). But that all changed about 6 Months ago when I got what I like to call my XJ starter kit. I've officially crossed over and the XJ is the perfect rig for me and the fam to wheel.

So back to the XJ Starter Kit, I say starter kit because I picked it up with a few mods already complete. My base is a 2000 XJ, 2.5L 58,000Mi, RC long arm, 4:10's,D30 & 8.25, SYE, Toyo MT 35 /13.50 /15's, Tom Woods Drive safts and Bushwacket Flat Fender Flares. The rig is far from where I want it but its a good start. All mods have less than 1,00mi on them and the rig has spent its life towed behind a camper and was always caraged. AKA SUPER Clean. The 2.5l / AX5 is the one drawback but its not a DD and the AX5 will be high on the list of things to replace.

This ws my first outing with the rig. I'm very please so far.

Just locked in my plans for NWFest 2014. That means upgrade time. Orderd a Powertrax Lock Right for the rear, IRO OTK steering (Bent the sh** out of stock one twice now), detours back bone front bumper, superwinch winch, JCR slides and a roof top basket. Pic and write-ups soon, parts start coming in tonight. Time to grab some beer.

So i did the Powertax Lock Right install last night had some issues but finally got it

1st Problem, step one in the instructions is very important LINE UP THE SYNCROS!! now I know

2nd problem, the C-clips on the 29 spline 8.25 are TOO big for the locker, you have been warned

3rd Problem, once the c-clip is in the passenger side it is NEVER coming out.

Other than that it went well. Rear locker good to go, steering should be here Monday.

Steering went in last night, install took less than and hour and a half. The IRO OTK kit is pretty sweet, very heavy duty, and packaged well. I don't mind running Heims since its not a DD and they are cheap to replace. All 4 Heims in the kit are the same so carrying 1 or 2 on the trail just in case will be no problem.

The old

Very Bent

The new

Installed

Goes down the road great, seems a little more responsive than stock, we'll she how she does on the trail later. Its also very nice to have a straight steering wheel too...

Yes, pretty gutless on the highway with the 35's. Does ok off road, better on trails than the rocks. With the low miles on the rig the 2.5l is still pretty peppy. Some day i'll have the cash upgrade the gears but I'll make due for now.

Time to play catch up with my thread.....Got my hands on a Detours Off Road Backbone and a Superwinch LP8500. Install was pretty easy the Backbone is super stout and connects all the way past the steering box. Detours was awesome to work with took about 20 Days to get it to my door.

The Old

The Tow Bar Bracket bolts left by previous owner

Stripped down, painted and ready for the new one

The Backbone came primed w/ no paint. 3 Coasts of Semi-Gloss and she's ready to install

Mission Complete

Nice rig! I wouldn't mind building a late model 2 door someday! Looks great so far!

Well its been too long since I've posted and it looks like it may be even longer. Took the WUS out to Evan Creek one last time before she went into storage. I'll be leaving the NW and moving to Florida in a week. Thanks to Torx and Redjeep 2.0 for running a great program and I hope to make in back for a NWF in the next couple years. I'll let you guys know when I'm in town and hopefully we can link up.

Did you get to run some trails at Evans Creek? How'd you like them? I really like the trails up there, tight and technical.

Thanks for coming out to NWF this year. You and the misses were a great addition to the group. Hope you can make it back out next year. :thumbup:

The state made me turn in the WUS plates, sad but she's keeping the name.

Most of Evans Creek was closed,only had access to some old logging roads and some snow on top. BTW for Christmas my wife's grandfather gave me a stack of off road maps for the NW I'll be scanning them into PDF and uploading them soon.

Haha the plates were a great addition

Jeep looks great nick! We'll definitely be using the C9 canopy again this year!

Back