• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing SYE in early style NP231

elaubuch

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched on this topic for the better part of two days, with no luck (longtime user of jeepsunlimited.com). I am installing an Omix SYE (from Jeepinoutfitters.com) and I have run into a bit of ambiguity in the directions. The directions state during the reassembly process that, "early 231 transfer cases with the vacuum ports may have to trim the shifter fork shaft to fit the new tailhousing." I cannot find any info on how much to trim off the tip of the shaft to allow it to fit the new tailhousing, if it needs to retain the beveled edge to one side, etc and still function to actuate the check on the vacuum ports. Any of you that have experience with this installation, I would greatly appreciate your help. I will take pics and write up the assembly after I solve this one to share with everyone else. My jeep is an 88, 4.0, auto, working on installing the RE 5.5" Extreme duty long arm lift and this cursed SYE. If necessary, I can take some pics of what I am looking at if anyone needs better explanation of my situation when I get home (at work now).

Thanks!

Eric

He he. I just did an Early 231.

Just install it without the tail housing. Put it into the mode that moves the shift fork all the way forward, and use a hacksaw or similar tool. Trim it about 1/2 and inch from the guide sleeve in the back of the housing. Then use your grinder to bevel the edges. It isn't hard. You end up taking about 3/4 of an inch off of the shift rail.

Thank you both for the quick replies. I will do it this week and take lots of pictures to help anyone else that might be in the same situation.

Thanks again,

Eric

Back