• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wide track dana 44 in Cherokee XJ

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, boys!

I've just been offered a pair of axles for my Cherokee XJ 1988. It's wide track Dana 44's, front and rear, out of a Cherokee Chief. I'm not sure of the year, but I think they will fit in my car with the neccesary modifications. I also know it's another wheel bolt pattern, but that's not much of a problem. How strong are thease axles compared to the stock Dana 44 found in some XJ's or IH Scout? I'm also interested in a Ford 8.8, and have been told that the Ford 8.8 are a little bit stronger than the D44? How do I do the modifications?, my dad has the knowledge, and I've got the money, so he will help me out, the only thing I need is an instruction on how to modify especially the front axle. What is the difference between the "wide track" and the "standard" D44? I know somebody have told me I can use the nuckles off my Dana 30 front axle or something? Anyone out there who could help me on my way.

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

The ford 8.8 has c-clips and in my mind is weaker than the dana 44. You have a good pair of axles but they are about six inches wider than stock. If you can find a pair out of a 4 door standard wagoneer then they would only be 1" wider. Don't bother trying to put d30 outers ona 44 you are removing the area in which you would be improving. The D30 outers are not strong and do not have hubs as the 44 does. I would stay with the Dana 44's and you will have a lot stronger setup. I am using the Dana 44's in mine with 35" tires, and no worries so far. Let me know if you need any further help. [email protected]

If the Dana 44 axles come from the same vehicle, the front differential may be on the driver's side. My old full-size Cherokee (1978) had the front differential on the passenger side, but I believe they changed that in the 80's.

If that part is okay, and if you can accept the great change in width, the biggest problem will be fabricating mounts for the front control arms. Remember, you will be converting a leaf spring axle to fit in a coil spring vehicle. The upper control arm mount on the driver's side must be attached to the differential housing, which is either cast iron or nodular iron. It is difficult to weld mild steel to either. Clayton Off-Road Manufacturing offers an adapter to accomplish this.

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/

I've talked to my friend about this swap, and he advised me to look for a pair of "narrow track" axles for my Cherokee conversion. He told me the front D44 from a Wagoneer or Cherokee would fit better than the wide track, the front narrow track axle is supposed to be about 60 inches wide and the rear about 58 inches. I have not been able to verify this data, but I think my friend has this right, if not correct me please!. He told me a D44 from a Ford F150 would fit better than the Jeep front D44, but didn't know if I should look for a IFS or leaf sprung axle, he thinks they came in the two versions, again correct if I'm wrong. What do you guys think? I might end up with just doing the rear D44 conversion until I can find the right front candidate. Is there any other good options for the front of a Cherokee XJ 1988?

Thanks in advance, boys!
Arnt H.

Arnt --

What size tires do you use, and do you intend to change to larger tires in the future? In general, most people have found that the front Dana 30 is stronger than the rear Dana 35, and that a Dana 30 front axle with a Dana 44 rear axle is a good combination. That should certainly be adequate for up to 33-inch tires.

For now I'm running 31" tires, but at the end of the summer I expect having 33". I'm in the middle of restoring my beloved Cherokee, and are looking at strong improvments for the future, I expect that the 88 Cherokee still has many years of service left in it. When it comes to the Dana 30 front axle, I may be keeping that axle, and instead swapping the rear first. I'm still not sure wether to buy a D44 or a Ford 8.8, becouse there is scertan pros and cons for both alternatives. The D44 is the "original" heavy duty Jeep Cherokee rear end, but it don't have the discs the 8.8 has. The 8.8 do have C-clips, but have a slightly stronger R&P than the D44, and it has a lim-slip installed from the factory. I have to say the 8.8 is the prime candidate at the moment. The D44 I have been offered is out of a Scout II and need a overhaul, so that's where the case rest for the weekend.

Arnt H

If you were here in the USA I would advise you to wait for a good Cherokee Dana 44, but that's because I am somewhat of a purist and I prefer to upgrade using parts that were offered by the factory, if possible. Also, I find it painful to install (ugh) Ford parts in my vehicles. However, since I expect that genuine Cherokee Dana 44 axles are more scarce in Norway than here, if you have access to an 8.8 I think that is a better swap than a Scout axle. You will need to relocate some spring mounts and brackets, I assume you know that?

One of the off-road accessory companies here offers a kit specifically to adapt the Ford 8.8 axle into the Cherokee. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is either M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off Road Engineering) or ORGS (Off Road General Store).

Good luck with it.

Just to let you know The front and rear axles on my XJ that came out of a wagoneer. The front is 61" and the rear is 61", wheel mount to wheel mount. The diff is also on the passenger side. They are both Dana 44's and the waggy was a four door.

Just a comment on the waggy 44s.
I had a beater FSJ with a 360 that I happened to get exceptionally cheap. We immediately threw some mud terrains on it and proceeded to...well...we did things that Jeep engineers hadn't counted on.
Anyways, the axles held up great, the transfercase went (blew) out first. I would go for it if the price is right.

Making 6000 lbs of 70s metal airborne is a beautiful thing.:D

I've made up my mind!

Yup, I know I have to relocate some spring parts to get the 8.8 to fit in the Cherokee, and I have seen the Kit M.O.R.E. sells for this swap. It was at M.O.R.E.'s web page I forund out that the 8.8 is a good swap, and I think their kit is reasonably priced. The original D44 from a Cherokee are extremely rare here in Norway, I found out it has been sold only six Jeep Cherokee's with D44 rear ends here from 1987 to 1989!, so it's about impossible to find one. The Scout axle I've found is out of the question, the donor car must have been in a accident, becouse the axle was actually bent!, so the 8.8 will be purchased on monday, and I think it's gonna be great, disc brakes and factory Lim-slip diff!

Thanks Jeep friends!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

dana44 said:
so the 8.8 will be purchased on monday, and I think it's gonna be great, disc brakes and factory Lim-slip diff!

Thanks Jeep friends!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

4x4supply in Norway has got the flange-adapter, if you need it !

Back