• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

taking off your 231

small pederson

NAXJA Forum User
can this be done without dropping the tranny? my friend said he did it on his wrangler...but he doesnt know ship from shinola about xj's. i got under there and tried but i couldnt find all the nuts and some seemed like the wouldnt go with more wrenching room. please somebody tell me they have done it without dropping their tranny. :( :( :(

Don't know about the AW4.. but taking it off from the AX15, I had I think 6 nuts and bolts holding the 231 to the adapter (btw, it should be same on all 231's no matter of the tranny as they crossover)..... The way I went around it was to take a big jack and rotate down everything a bit on the engine mounts (careful for your exhaust pipe up front, and don't go crazy dropping it tooo low). Then I supported the tcase and pulled all the bolts out and voila..... btw, don't know about you, but the top two were a PITA and a 3/8" joint adapter (The thing that lets you wrench at an angle) was god send :)

Kejtar

On the AW-4 there is a bracket on one side that make getting a couple of the bolts a "BITCH" but it can be done. One will be by wrench and will turn 1/16 of a revelution, and the other will take a long extension on ratchet to get out.

alright thanks guys

M. Lake said:
On the AW-4 there is a bracket on one side that make getting a couple of the bolts a "BITCH" but it can be done. One will be by wrench and will turn 1/16 of a revelution, and the other will take a long extension on ratchet to get out.

The AX15 XJs also have similar difficulties.

The ratcheting box end wrenches are a God-send here.

Yes, I have done it before. Yes, there are two bolts behind a bracket that will take four times longer than the other four altogether. Have fun...

Sooner or later (probably next time I'm in there) I'll dope out a way to make the job a little easier...

5-90

Back